Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost SCSI connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aacheung

Technical User
Aug 29, 2006
US
I have 2 SCSI cards installed in V480, and each SCSI connects to a S1 in which the root disks are located, after power outage, I lost connection to disks in both S1
probe-scsi-all does not show the SCSI cards
boot cdrom -s and cfgadm -al only shows the c0 scsi-bus and the cd-rom
The SCSI cards and cables are still connected. Is that a hardware or software failure, any suggesion on how can I recover?
Thanks

You have to choose the correct disk from the output of show-disks. I did not specify that in my previous post, after you choose that then you hit CTRL + Y. So, it should be like this,

Code:
{3} ok nvunalias vx-rootdisk
{3} ok show-disks
a) /pci@9,600000/SUNW,qlc@2/fp@0,0/disk
b) /pci@8,600000/pci@2/scsi@5/sd
c) /pci@8,600000/pci@2/scsi@4/sd
d) /pci@8,600000/pci@1/scsi@5/sd
e) /pci@8,600000/pci@1/scsi@4/sd
f) /pci@8,700000/ide@6/cdrom
g) /pci@8,700000/ide@6/disk
q) NO SELECTION
Enter Selection, q to quit: q
{3} ok [b]ENTER <a,b,c,d,e,or f> HERE[/b]
{3} ok nvalias ctrl + y vx-rootdisk

Second your system is set up with vx-rootmirror as the default boot device. When you type boot you will have to enter boot vx-rootdisk . You can chage that by using this command setenv boot-device vx-rootdisk . You will have to use the nvalias command for both vx-rootdisk and vx-rootmirror if the settings got jacked up.

nvalias simplify the device paths into the disk
I modify the boot-device parameter, still get 'Can't locate boot device' when booting the vx-rootdisk pointing to the correct device path

When you do a printenv do you see these settings?

Code:
eeprom
-------------
use-nvramrc?=false
nvramrc=devalias vx-rootdisk path/to/disk@0,0:a
devalias vx-rootmirror path/to/disk@1,0:a
----------------

{3} ok printenv nvramrc
nvramrc = devalias /pci@8,600000/pci@2/scsi@4/sd vx-rootdisk
try use-nvramrc? false or true

continuous to get Can't locate boot device

Well the above settings I printed out were from my own system. I guess you can try to see if it works for you, but I have never tried booting the method you are mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back