Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost save set

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyghost

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
HK
hi,

i have recovered a save set successfully a few days ago (7 days). this time (Jan 13) i have to recover the same save set, but i can't see it anymore in the nwrecover or the recover command. i can't even see it in the client indexes. its retention is actually 5 years.

how come i can't see it anymore? i have already tried setting the browse time to Jan 6, but still i can't see the save set. i already did nsrck -L6, still no progress...

what seems to be the problem?

Make sure that the media db still knows the save set:

- If yes, i assume that the save set status is not browseable any longer. That's why you can not see the file index info.
In this case you can rebuild the index with "scanner -i -S ssid".

- If no, then you need to add the save set to the media (and the file index) database.
You can do this with "scanner -m" or "scanner -i" as well. Please see the manpages for more details.

The most important question would be: "why did it disappear?" - have you accedentally relabeled the media?

no... no relabelling was done...

ok... now how do i know if the media db still knows the save set?

how will i know the ssid if i cannot see the save set???

Good question!

- every file in the CFI has a time stamp, shown to you in "readable" time format and in UNIX time format (in seconds from 01/01/70). Both are stored/created from the media database.
The first parameter is known as "savetime",
the second one is known as "nsavetime"

- So, if you know the nsavetime value (easier to handle), you can find out which and where the save sets are stored:

mminfo -q"nsavetime=xxxx" -r"client,name,ssid,sumflags,nsavetime,volume"

This should do the job.

I forgot to say that you find the time stamp from the CFI by using

nsrinfo client_name | grep filename_string for UNIX/Linux

or

nsrinfo client_name | findstr filename_string for Windows

Please note that the sring must be correct with respect to upper & lower case characters.

I have the same problem with one Windows client.
I need to recover some information of one client but the saveset doesn 't exist because I removed the oldest cycle because the index size of this client was very big and I need some space in this filesystem.
But now, I need to recover these savesets that I have removed.
I restored from one old backup the index of this client, but when I startup the networker and try to see these savesets, it doesn 't exist and it show me the information that exist before.
It's like I don't do anything.
How can I actualice this information of the index to show me the correct information ?

I run a nsrck -F "client" but it didn 't work, I create one new client with nsrck -c "client" and restore the information of this client here and it didn 't work
I try with nsrck -X "client"

[root@host40]:/tmp#nsrck -X processing
nsrck: checking index for processing
nsrck: cross-checking index for processing
nsrck: WARNING the media database is not responding
nsrck: WARNING no valid savetimes - cross-check not performed for processing
nsrck: completed checking 1 client(s)

What must I do to resolve this issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor