Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOST ROOT & USR FileSystems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelo23

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
US
Hello,

I lost my / (root) and /usr filesystems due to a bad Hard drive... I had just ran a ufsdump last week before my system crashed yesterday... I got a new hard drive and restored both the /(root) filesystem and then the /usr filesystem successfully... I 'm not sure why my alias's and crontab etc.. are not restored back to the normal way it was before the crash.... Why would this happen??.... Should I try to restore /usr/bin directory where the alias file is etc..??? I'm alittle confused.... I use to beable to type in nwadmin& on the command prompt and have my Soltice Network Backup software open up... Now that doesn't even work form the command line... Where or what file to I need to add in the executable paths for programs like nwadmin etc..?

Thanks

Has your .profile been restored exactly as it was? crontabs are stored in /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Was /var trashed as well? What do you get with a crontab -l? Sorry for the questions, but I think more info. is required.

Thanks for your help....I already figured out my problem... Before I get into what I did wrong let me say that my crontab was ok from the get go... It never got trashed when I lost /(root) and /usr...
As far as my other problem... When I did my ufsrestore on the / filesystem It did not capture the ".*" files (.cshrc, etc...)... Therefore I went back and restored the dot files (".*").... Everything is back to normal once again... Thanks anyways for your input...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back