Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost root password

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkat

Technical User
Mar 9, 2002
US
The 249-860 I just got wont let me into root...lost password
I know how to break in to my MCA machine, but I don't know how to get into the 860. I believe it has either AIX 415 or 421 on it. There are no switches for maintenance, similar to a 43p-140. I believe it is pci architecture.

HI,

Boot from a bootable AIX CD.
At the Installation/Maint menu select item 4, "Start a limited function maintenance shell.
At the subsequent "#" prompt enter the command:
getrootfs hdiskN
(where "N" is replaced by the number of a disk on your system that is in rootvg.)
That will run for about a minute or so and you get a # prompt back. At this point you are logged in as root in single user mode.
Change to /etc/security and edit the passwd file. Delete the three lines under root: password, update time (or whatever it's called), and flags. Save the file.
Then at the prompt, give root a new password.
Shutdown/reboot in normal mode. Log in with new password.
"Long live king Moshiach !"
h

I knew that! However, the neurons seem to have a finite lifetime as I age! Thanks very much for the reminder lesson
tkat (the inventor)

ps: any chance you can help me with my dials/lpfk dilemma?
I am using a 43P-7248 with AIX 432. I have ALL the right
hardware...y-cable, two power supplies, several known to be good dials and lpfks, swapped around everything, and yet I
get the dials zipping right into "available" with the lpfk
failing with :method error (/usr/lib/Methods/cfgsgio)
0514-040 Error initializing a device into
the kernal

I suspect there is some kind of editing I have to do to get this to work. The ibm site says the dials/lpfk was supported on the 43p, but not officially AIX 432, although I have seen AIX 5.1 running on this machine. Got any more miracles up your sleeve? thanks, tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back