Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Primary DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2001
US
I had to DCs in my domain. The hard drive on the primary DC was lost. I am now getting error message in the event log about file replication between the two servers. Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem? Are there any tools to help clean up AD?

Thanks Richard

If you only have one active DC and don't intend on fixing the bad one, make sure that you seize all of the FSMO roles onto the existing DC and remove the old one.

Check the Windows 2000 forum, I have an FAQ there for removing a DC. It applies to Win2K3 also.

Mark

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

You need to Seize the schema master fsmo.. dont transfer the infracture role.

MCSE 2K - MCSA 2K - NET+ - A+

Paul..

Just to add my opinion to this, I think you need to determne if the DC witht he failed hard drive will be returning to the domain. If it will not be, then you should transfer or seize ALL the FSMO roles. If that server will return then I would agree with Sidetracked's advice.

Regards,

Mark

Hmm I think your original advice was better... If you seize the Schema master role and bring back the original DC you're in as much or more trouble than if you'd seized the Infrastructure master role and brought the original back on-line.

Seize all roles, fix the disk in the other DC and rebuild it before bringing it back on-line then transfer roles back if required.

When ive done this previously, the technet recommended to do a metadata cleanup as well if you are removing the DC completely. It wasnt in all the locations it suggested but there were still some references to it

You can do an easy metadata cleanup by checking out my FAQ in the Win2K forum. I have a script in there that makes the metadata cleanup a snap. You run the script, it tells wyou what DCs are listed in AD and then you pick which one to remove. After that all you need to do is remove any references to the server in AD Sites and Services. Takes just a few seconds to run the script VS following the KB that takes up to 20 minutes. The script was given to me by MS Premier Support.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back