Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost PIX 520 password recovery/reset ??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctekk

MIS
Sep 28, 2002
US
i know this is bad, but to make a long story short,
how can you reset/recover the passwords for a pix 520 ??

we have the config sheet w/ the encrypted passwords
but does us no good.

Thanks for any help gang !!

visit the site, search for "pix password recovery", there is a file to download (be careful with the software version) and a clearly explained procedure.

This is an easy ten minutes procedure.

i saw those instructions, we dont have a floppy on it,
but do have a db9 to rj45 connector
because ours has a serial db9 on the front only
will this work or
should there be some pin-outs needed/another cable ??

thanks

I don't remember if the connector is DTE or DCE wired. In all cases try the console connection before doing a password recovery procedure.

what do you mean to try the "console connection" before
doing the password recovery ?

there might be another way in ??

thanks

Hmmm... I've never heard of a 520 without a floppy drive. You sure the drive isn't hiding behind a door on the front? I'm curious more than anything. As far as I knew, 520s were never made without floppy drives. :)

actually, there is a panel that has 2 posts, but looks
like a cdrom size, i'll have to unscew and pop off.

Also, what type of Console cable would i need,
db9male to rj45female ??

Because the PIX is based on a PC hardware I assume that the console (COM)port is DTE. In that case you have to find a DB9-DB9 crossover cable. The pinout is :

pin 2 to pin 3
pin 3 to pin 2
pin 5 to pin 5

If the PIX console port is DCE (probably not) then use a streight cable :

pin 2 to pin 2
pin 3 to pin 3
pin 5 to pin 5

If the console port is a male DB9 then try with a original Cisco console kit with a second RJ45-DB9 adapter.

Visit the Cisco web site to find the cable pinout.

PIX Console Port:

To access the PIX console port with a dumb terminal, you need a DB9 null modem cable, CISCO part# LDW0398-72-0876-01. DB-9/F to RJ45 works too as long as its Null Modem pinned. Configure the dumb terminal for 9600/8/N/1 (flow control to hardware). Use can also use the serial port on your PC and configure Hyperterm.

I looked for that cisco part #
but didnt come up anywhere,
do you have another ???
our vendor CDWG
couldnt find it at all

thanks

actually, there is a panel that has 2 posts, but looks like a cdrom size, i'll have to unscew and pop off.

That is where the floppy drive resides. You will need to use it to boot into monitor mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back