Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost password problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Don't you just hate it when a user loads some software, puts in an obscure password, then completely forgets what it was!

Norton Internet Security 2005 was loaded into an XP Pro machine. Machine has been infected with various viruses, which I have managed to eliminate. However, there is definitely adware and malware on it, but neither Adaware SE nor SpyBot v1.4 will update. The latter quotes "Socket error #10061 - connection refused". My guess is Norton's blocking this outward connection, although Internet Explorer connects to the outside world ok, and no proxy server is being used. I have his original Norton installation disks, and the all important Product Key number.

What's the best course of action? Try uninstalling? Will that process ask me for this unknown password?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Think I may have found the answer, at least to the password problem...

Took an image of the drive in case it all went pear-shaped. Ran uninstall/remove from within Control Panel, and noticed one of the options was to reset the security password! A pity Norton's useless help file didn't point this out...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

A finale to the above...

Having got into Norton Internet Security and been able to disable it, Adaware updated its definitions immediately. SpyBot, however, still refused to play ball. I uninstalled and reinstalled and now it's updated ok. So it seems once it's been refused Internet access during installation of the programme, one or more files gets modified to prevent any further connections even if firewall rules are subsequently changed.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Yup. Give 'em a computer with no floppy, CD-ROM or Internet access!

This is a user's own PC which I've never seen before, but I know what you mean...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

My users have all of the above, just no rights to do much with it. It can be a pain when it's time to do a simple update to some piece of software, but I think it worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back