Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgarionc

Programmer
Jun 3, 2003
ZA
I have win98 with a 2gb hdd as master and a 1gb as slave on primary ide ,and a 4gb as master and cd-rom as slave on secondery ide.I tested a 250Mb hdd for a friend.First I connected it to the secondery ide and run scandisk on it. Then to test that it was working I connected it to the primary ide. The drive has windows3.1 on it, it started up correctly. But when I connected up my drives I found that the 250mb hdd it replaced my partition on my 4gb hdd with it's on partiotion. I would like to know if there is a way of restoring my partition because it contains inportand information that I kneed.

I'm not quite clear what this means

"But when I connected up my drives I found that the 250mb hdd it replaced my partition on my 4gb hdd with it's on partiotion."

So I assume you've put the 4gb hard drive back on the secondary controller. Great. Did you go to the CMOS setup and tell the BIOS to redetect the 4gb hard drive? If this isn't the solution, please clarify your statement. I'm not sure how you lost a partition, if you only ran scandisk on a friend's hard drive.

Matt

I'm gonna register a new domain. MCSEsGoBackToDrivingForklifts.com

"Matt the purple star pimp"

I'm with you Matt. Confused.

belgarionc, which drives do you have connected now and where? As Matt said, you can't lose or replace a partition running scandisk.

More info please.

When I connected the 250Mb drive to the primary ide to check that it boots ,I reconnected the 4Gb and Cd-Rom at the same time. After it booted correctly I reconnected the 2GB and 1GB to the primary ide. No when I started up my machine again the C(2Gb) and D(1Gb) drives was correct ,but the E(4Gb) drive displayed the information that was on the 250Mb hdd. I then run fdisk. Now on my 4Gb drive there is a 250Mb FAT16 partition instead of the 4Gb FAT32 partition that was formerly there. It only has the 250Mb FAT16 partition the rest of the drive is displayed as being free.

How does the drive show in CMOS? Did you go to the CMOS setup and tell the BIOS to redetect the 4gb hard drive?

I'm gonna register a new domain. MCSEsGoBackToDrivingForklifts.com

"Matt the purple star pimp"

I would go into the BIOS and have it redetect the
drive.
Andy

Matt is right on here! Go into the bios and make sure all your hard-drives are set to auto-detect. It sounds like your secondary master isn't set to auto. It's the only thing it could be.. you only ran scandisk, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back