Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost network drive after 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin511

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
US
Hello,

Do have a problem with a xp pro workstation whose connecting to a nt server 4.

2 drive are connected a logon and work as long as there is activity. After 20 minutes idling the connections (rediretion) drop and there's no way to recconnect the drives except by restarting the server and xp station.

All other workstation are win98se and work good on tcp/ip protocol and netbeui.

Can you help ???

Are you getting any error reports or are they just shutting down?

Try checking out the NIC for power save settings.

Go to Properties on Network Neighborhood/Configure Network Card (the button next to the NIC label) and flip through the tabs. I believe the final tab is, generally, the power settings tab. Make certain the system isn't allowed to set it to power save.

When you try to acess those drive(click) it give this message (From french to englich)

Microsoft network windows the connection canot be reestablich with this computer at this moment. There already ad much connections as this computer can accept.

Sorry for the translation.
Beside, nobody else is trying to connect to this server.

Thanks for yor help

here's what i found.

The server is a NFR version.
the limitation come from the server not from the xp stations.

Is there any way to turn an nfr version of nt server into a regular version with manageable license number ???

By NFR you mean Not for Resale.

In that case you are going to be limited to 10 seats.

Consider reverting to Win98 SE, or Linux with SAMBA.

I should note that even if there were a way to adjust the license limitations, Tek-Tips is the wrong Forum to discuss the issue, as site policies would prevent it.

But I can tell you that there is no registry or other hack to work around the problem.

I was not asking for a way to hack around the problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding. They simply didnt tell me the whole story and i'm sure lots of us had gone trought this often.

Thank you for your help guy's. I really appreciate.

They're next move will be to replace the whole machine including o/s, application and else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back