Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost my Windows Calendar Program !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

like2edit

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
Due to a hard drive issue I had to reinstall my o/s Windows XP Media Center Edition. After the reinstall I can't find the calendar/reminder program I was using before the reinstall. It was a free-standing calendar program that was not part of Outlook (I know that because I wasn't using Outlook, I was using Outlook Express).

So now I can't figure out what calendar program I was using or where the heck it went. I'd always assumed it was part of Win XP. It was definitely tied in to my system clock. As soon as I booted up my PC, a reminder dialog box would open up if a reminder was past due. I never had to open the program to see reminders.

But checking now on the web it appears only Vista comes with a free standing calendar program, so that couldn't be what I was using, although I noticed it looks a lot like the Vista calendar screen shots I've seen.

If the calendar I was using before wasn't part of Win XP, I figure it must have been part of the MS Office program I was using. The problem is I don't recall which version of Office I had before. I didn’t have Office preinstalled on my PC, and I can't find my Office CD.

Does Windows XP Media Center have this program and I'm just not finding it now? Is there any version of MS Office with a free standing calendar program?

thanks for suggestion. This is definitely not what I was using, but I'll check it out.

to be clear- I never downloaded any calendar program- what I was using was there on my PC already. It either came with the o/s or it was part of the MS Office package I installed. That's why this is so mysterious.

It could have been some of the "bonus" crapware that the manufacture loaded when you purchased the computer. Good luck in your hunt

Something like this:

3_atomic_alarm_clock_scr_03.jpg

Atomic Alarm Clock

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

wow, MS Works- I didn't think of that- thanks.

I just took the tour on the MS Works site- that looks like the same calendar for sure. It has to be what I was using.

I'm wondering why it wasn't included when I did the reinstall from the o/s reinstall CD that came with my Dell PC. I guess I should go back to Dell and ask if they will send me MS Works for free since I must have had it at the outset.

Dell used to ship "all" the installed software on cd's ... that included the MS Works set of disks ... I put "all" in quotes because it didn't include everything ... case in point: they used to preinstall XP and Office tutorials which aren't on any disks.

Today if you order a Dell you specifically have to ask for the Install CD's ... stuff like MS will have official stickers stuck to your machine with the s/n etc.

At one point they used to use part of the hardrive as a recovery partition ... this works good if your harddrive was still working and you just wanted to do a clean restart but when a harddrive failed you had nothing and Dell Warrenty will just send you an empty harddrive. At that point its off to the Dell Support driver web site.

Personally after having issues with missing Pre Installed software I now make Ghost and or Acronis backups of every Dell I purchase before running their canned installation.
That way I can restore a machine in about an hour not including all the MS and other updates that have to be done afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back