Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost my sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchel

Technical User
Oct 26, 2000
US
I have a Compaq presario 5712 with DVD. I have lost my sound. The icon doesn't show up and the sound won't come on. In checking my hardware and software, the computer tells me my sound card is not working. This is a fairly new computer - hardly used since I bought it. I uninstalled the only two games I had on it - Jeopardy and Who wants to be a Millionaire - and that has not fixed the problem. Any suggestions before I Quick Restore? Also, will a Quick Restore help? Thanks!

go into device manager ( im assuming you have win95/95). click START,SETTINGS,CONTROL PANEL. double click system, click DEVICE MANAGER. go down to sound video and game controllers and remove everything under this ( press the little + sign) reboot your PC. windows should find the sound card again and will ask for the location of the drivers. if you have the sound driver dc use it, if not browse to c:\windows and/or c:\windows\system for the files it requires

Thanks, I've tried that and it hasn't made a difference. Any other suggestions?

I'm guessing you Compaq might have an onboard sound card. If so you might check in the bios. Make sure it's turned on.
If that's not the case. Were their any symptoms before it stoped working? Like stuttering, somtimes working when you boot up, somtimes not? That info would be helpfull. Also did you install anything around the time you had this problem? Hardware, Software?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back