Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost my mdw file

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdimaggio

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
US
I have a front end (application) and back end (data) data base which is secured. The back end is not password protected. the front end is protected with the built in security. I have the secured Microsoft Access Information file which was created when I initially passworded the application. When I try to open the front end, I get an error saying I do not have permission. How do a open the front end application?

thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Hopefully you kept an unsecured version of this file, too.

How are you trying to get into the database? Do you have a shortcut pointing to your database? That's usually the best way to go about this. You can make a shortcut to your database and then alter it so that the "target" field says something like this:

"Path\MsAccess.exe" "Path\YourDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "Path\YourWorkgroupFile.mdw"

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Remember to reward helpful tips with the stars they deserve.

Steve,

Hopefully you kept an unsecured version of this file, too.

How are you trying to get into the database? Do you have a shortcut pointing to your database? That's usually the best way to go about this. You can make a shortcut to your database and then alter it so that the "target" field says something like this:

"Path\MsAccess.exe" "Path\YourDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "Path\YourWorkgroupFile.mdw"

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

I do not have an unsecured copy of the front end application. That is my main problem. I was new to access at the time when I set up security. I now want to create a production copy so i can make changes during the day and then turn it into a user copy once everyone logs off.

I do have a short cut that gets me into the front end application which is linked to the back end data base.

I don't know where you are going when you say.

You can make a shortcut to your database and then alter it so that the "target" field says something like this:

"Path\MsAccess.exe" "Path\YourDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp
"Path\YourWorkgroupFile.mdw"

I still need a little help.

thanks

steve

That short cut that you have that gets you in is what Jeremy is referring to. Access creates it when you run the security wizard and is now the only way to open your db. You have to distribute the shortcut to every user that will be using the db. You need to read up on security more. Go to the faqs section in MS Access - Other Topics and read the Microsoft faqs posted there. Read it four or five times!

Autoeng

I understand what you are saying ie. the short cut is the only way into the database. (all my users have a copy) However, How can I create a developers front end application while still having a production copy. when i go to make changes during the day, I have to make everyone shut down in order to have access save the changes. that is really what I am trying to accomplish.

Steve

Steve,

The way I do this is I have parallel sets of directories on the server and my PC. On both the server and my PC, there's a directory named after the application. Within that directory I have a production directory (what the users use) and a development directory (what I use to make changes). On the user's PC there's no need for a development directory, but there's still a production directory to make sure everything is the same between their PCs and mine.

I make changes to the one in the development directory and when I've tested them to make sure there's no bugs (yeah, right!) I first back up the existing production version and then make a new production version from the current development version. I use .mde files for my production versions, though some people just make a copy of their mdb.

One thing that's important is that your users are not opening copies of the front end file directly from the server. They should have a copy of the front end on their PC, and should open that. Accomplishing this is a little more complicated, but nothing by which to be intimidated. I have a couple of articles on how I go about this on my web site (listed below). If you're curious, check those out, and let me know what you think.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

I appreciate the info. You explained exacty what I want to do. ie. production / development folders. I did what you said but I am still having problems.

1. I copied the files out of server directory.
2. put them on my C: drive.
3. named the folders the same.
4. changed the shortcut location to read:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe" "c:\ARR_DATABASE\split database.mdb" /WRKGRP "c:\ARR_DATABASE\Secured.mdw"

When I change data while in the C: drive, it puts it on the server back end mdb file.

Where am I going wrong?

PS. why do you give everyone a front end application and not just let them work off of a short cut?

steve

Steve,

On the PS: it's MUCH slower to run the application from the server and it means that you can't replace that file if someone has it open (I think).

On the data being updated on the server: what I do is have both production and development environments on both the PC and the Server. This means that the development FE has to point to the development BE, and the production FE has to point to the production BE.

This part is easy to do manually--after you make a new production FE just delete all the linked tables and relink to all the tables in the production BE. BUT, what's really hard about this, is making sure that you never, ever, ever forget to do this, because if you do, your users will be working on development data, and that's not a good thing. What I did to take care of this was write and crib some code to check where the front end is and make sure that it's linked to the tables in the right BE.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back