Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost my Login ID and Password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarleneD

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
CA
Hi:

I have Red Hat Linux on a dual boot computer with Windows XP.

However I seem to have forgotten my login and/or password for Linux - at least the password I thought I used does not work :(

What would be the most painless way, I am not technically savvy, to gain access to the Linux section?

Thanks,

Marlene

You have forgotten the root password or your password?

If you have forgotten the root password, the easiest way would be to boot into single user mode and edit your /etc/shadow to remove the root password.

Thanks - your post helped :)

I had forgotten that the login id was 'root'

What a clutz :(

You should create a user account for yourself and use that for normal logins. Using root for the default login is not recommended.

Yes AP81 is correct..
Boot u r PC in single user mode...
If ur using grub press "a" to edit kernel option and just append word "single" at last of the line....

If u r using lilo press contrll x at lilo screen and go to text mode....
enter "linux single" { Replace linux with u r text to boot linux} at boot: prompt

u r pc will boot to single user mode and you can change the passwd by using "passwd" command.

Thank you for your posts :)

Why is it not good to use 'root' as the default log-in?

Marlene

Its a security risk. You should log in as a normal user and just "su" to root when needed (or use sudo, which is what I do). This is especially true if you log into the GUI as root and run insecure applications, such as IRC clients.

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

Anyone who manages to hack into your PC or discovers your normal password will have full control of everything. Creating a seperate user will limit the damage done in the event of your system being compromised. It will also make it harder for a would-be intruder to gain access.

Creating a seperate user account is absolutely standard: as a guess, I'd say over 98% of linux users reserve 'root' for installing new programs or performing system maintenance.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back