Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOST my CONTROL PANEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffy

Programmer
Oct 1, 2003
US
Perhaps after I visited a website that tried to usurp privileges, I do not have access to a CONTROL PANEL anymore!
Luckily I still have RegCleaner to work with if I want to uninstall something. I think perhaps some of my admistrator rights have been taken from me and that's why I don't see the panel.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Yes but how di I proceed. I always had my Control Panel and now it's gone. When I right-click the folder "Network" in the left panel of Explorer, and choose properties, I'm told I don't have access rights. How do I retrieve my full administrator rights? When I put in the 2000 CD, it does not give me the option to "fix" things. Help.

The first thing for you to do would be to determine what GPO is setting this. Use GPRESULT from the Support Tools to find out what GPOs are applied to your computer. You should then be able to disable the policy element for your admin account.

try to go to your policy seatings and over there you might find somethig

Thanks - but I don't have a GPRESULT.EXE on my machine. (What are Support Tools?) I tried to run Control Panel by the back door approach (run CONTROL.EXE) but the adminitsrator (that's me) access is denied me. Woe!

You will find the support tools in the Support directory on the Win2K CD. Install the tools and it will put GPRESULT on your PC.

This just ahppened to my buddy's PC. He doesn't have Admin privileges and Control Panel is gone.

Did any of these suggestions work?

I installed Support Tools but no GPRESULT.EXE therein. So I downloaded it from Microsoft and now the DOS screen shows up with some info and closes down on me within two seconds. I tried installing it in WINNT\SYSTEM32 but the same close down results when I run --> gpresult.exe

GPRESULT is a command line utility. You need to execute it from within a command prompt.

Click Start, Run then type CMD.

Now type GPRESULT and hit enter.

Optionally, you can execute if from a batch file and have it write its results to a text file:

GPRESULT >results.txt

The same command can of course be done from the command line.

if you have the machine on a network with other working machines you can do the following.

Remotely delete all of the profiles on the "bad" machine using delprof.exe.
Then copy the profile of a good user from the good machine to the default user profile of the "bad" machine. This way when you log onto the "bad" machine you will get the profile of a the good user's credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back