Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost My Connectivity No Network No Internet... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfizzle

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
US
At first everything worked fine, then I kept getting the error: "The page cannot be displayed..." even though I could ping internet IP addresses and see the other machines on the LAN. After removing and re-installing TCP/IP and the NIC a few times I could only get a ping response from 127.0.0.1 and that is all. The NIC seems to be installed correctly. The OS is Win98se. Cable modem, router and hub for the LAN. The PC did have a lot of AOL networking stuff on it; but I removed it that did not do the trick.
I also ran SFC which restored one file, I also tried running scanreg /restore but the restore failed.

Any other ideas of what to try or sites to go to for ideas would be appreciated.

I sort of remember seeing something about repairing the TCP/IP stack on MS's site but I can't seem to get back there... thanks

Lots of things you can try at the hardware level.
Plug into another port on the hub..
Try a different cable..

I had a network issue with SE where the only fix was to delete everything to do with networking in control panel and reinstall it all...

Also should do a virus scan just to be on the safe side.

Somewhere to start, at least...

Good luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

You mention that you can ping IP addresses, but can you ping Host names (i.e. If so, then the problem might be the browser and not necessarily a hardware problem.

If you can't ping host names, then try putting the IP address in the browser instead of the domain name. For example, instead of typing www.yahoo.com use 64.58.76.225 in the address field. If that works, then you definitely have a DNS issue. More than likely, a setting in the router is the cause.

If all else fails, try connecting the problem PC directly to the cable modem without going through a hub or router.

Let us know what you find!
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Have also tried:
using domain names as well as IP addresses
different cables
different ports in the hub; hub is working; two other computers are using same hub no problem
Norton AV shows no virus
upgraded IE Explorer from 5 to 6
then tried doing a repair of IE6

thanks for your help!

pfizzle,
Can you ping host names or not?

If so, then the problem is most likely your browser. We need to know before we can help you any further.

Also, do you have a firewall? ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Problem solved!
It was the McAfee firewall.
That was the of the things that was disabled in msconfig so I thought that it wasn't the problem.
Uninstalled the firewall and everything works fine

thanks for the help

good call cdogg
Gave you a * Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Thanks Kimber! I'm just glad pfizzle was able to figure it out... ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back