Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost mouse on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirtheil

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
I had some work done on my laptop recently that involved unplugging the backup battery (the CMOS had to be reset) and after booting back to XP Pro, my touchpad and pointing stick have both stopped working. If I dock or plug an external mouse in it works. I've updated the mouse drivers and still no luck. Any ideas? Thanks
mirtheil@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

just an idea

check he configurations settinisg of your bios, probaply tachpad (ps2 device) is disable by default and you will need to enable it

Thanks for the suggestion. I've verified that the bios is set correctly to allow the touchpad.
Any other ideas? mirtheil@mirtheil.com

hi
pls reinstall the windows xp pro it will solve your problem .

regards
Mandar

Seems odd that I would have to reinstall the OS when my hardware hasn't changed. All that happened was that the backup battery was unplugged for about 10 minutes. Everything else in XP works fine. Would a Repair of the OS solve the problem? I really would rather not reinstall the OS since that entails reinstalling all of my programs and there's a lot of them.
Thanks.
mirtheil@mirtheil.com

hi i don't think repair of OS will solv u r problem but u can try that. but the real solusation is the reinstall os it will solv u r problem don't format u r pc just insert win xp cd and run set up this will not tamper u r data and sofrware all the best

regards
Mandar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back