Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost login prompts on console after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonocleMike

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
FR
I rebooted the system from a telnet session on a pseudo terminal and now I've lost the login prompts on the console. I last made this mistake 5 years ago and I've forgotten the simple trick to get them back. Please can someone remind an old man :)

Was the kernal rebuilt during this process due to some change that was made?

Are you sure you are using the right console? SCO can be configured to run the console on the serial port and/or the attached monitor.

The console logins are spawned by "init" based on entries in /etc/inittab. Check that they are there. They should probably look like:
co:2345:respawn:/etc/getty tty01 sc_m
co1:1:respawn:/bin/sh -c "sleep 20; exec /etc/getty tty01 sc_m"
c02:234:eek:ff:/etc/getty tty02 sc_m
c03:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty03 sc_m
c04:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty04 sc_m
c05:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty05 sc_m
c06:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty06 sc_m
c07:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty07 sc_m
c08:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty08 sc_m
c09:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty09 sc_m
c10:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty10 sc_m
c11:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty11 sc_m
c12:234:respawn:/etc/getty tty12 sc_m

If I'm not mistaken you have to delete the iosyscon.ctl file and reboot and all will be well.
Had this problem a long time ago.

All it needed was rm /etc/ioctl.syscon from the single user session before going multi-user. Thank you Bela Lubkin for getting it right and to everyone else for taking the trouble to make their suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back