Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost hard drive with sharepoint site

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkecowboy

Programmer
Mar 31, 2004
US
We recently lost the hard drive with our new Sharepoint site on it. We had not started backing up the site yet. I can get to all of the files on the drive, it just won't boot. We installed Sharepoint with the default options. Where are the files kept, and how can I transfer them to the new drive? Thanks.

Glenn

Hi,

Unless you made any huge changes to the default templates everything will be in the SQL Database you created for the site when you installed it for the first time.

Things like custom images are one of the only things saved to the local machine, this of course is assuming that the SQL DB was stored on another server.....

The database was on the dard drive that went bad, but I can still get to the database. If I reinstall Sharepoint, can I just copy over and attach the old database to get our documents back?

You might want to call MS support. From what I've seen, Sharepoint turns to toast real easy.

Hi,

Microsofts line on any DB troubles with SPS is to bring up another SPS/SQL box and restore the information from a backup.....hmm not sure if that is honestly the best way.

If you can access the Databases I suggest you export them from SQL or whatever and then perhaps rebuild the SPS server and then import the information.....

However I was reading on another forum late last night a guy who had a similair problem and all he wanted to do was retrieve the documents stored within the DB, now his solution was to find a 3rd party tool that allowed him to do this......If this is what you want let me know and I can get the info for you. There are tons of dedicated SPS forums sites out there so you might want to take a nose about.

I hope that helps slightly.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back