Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOST/FRUSTRATED/CONFUSED 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocheace

Vendor
Oct 31, 2002
US
Everyone,

How do you deal with a new boss? What I mean by that is... If the executive positions have a high turnover ratio in a particular company...how do you deal with the different personalities and prove yourself all over again?

I'm at a point where my reputation precedes me and I don't feel as if I need to prove myself. I am rather young to hold a management position, my counter-parts in different cities and different organizations are at least 10-15 years older. The managing partner for our office has hired his successor in preparation of his departure within the next year or so. This successor doesn't think much of me and quite frankly seems to be cutting me out of the picture. He provides no guidance and leardership. He constantly steps on my toes and due to this, I feel as if I've lost some of the respect of my employees.

I no longer feel as if I'm the department head nor am I looked upon in that way. A lot of my responsibilities he has taken on (Why??? I don't know)and I'm left with nothing to do. I've had a conversation with this gentlemen and the answers to the question's I've had have been very vague. I'm going to speak with the current managing partner and express my concerns and see where that leads me.

I have an excellent package (salary + incentives). I can do what I want, come in when I want, ect ect. Any normal person would think that that's the ideal job. That may be the ideal job but it does nothing for my career. After all of my rambling I guess I confused myself (This forum is my therapy :eek:)). Should I continue to get as much experience as possible and eventually move on? Or should I continue to communicate my frustrations with the ever changing senior management/executive team?

Say 'ello..... to my little friend!

Sounds like age-ism to me.

You're young so you can't possibly know what you're doing and must be the big bosses nephew or something.

Or perhaps the new chap is a control freak with the complete inability to delegate anything. So he shoulders all the responsibility of everything, each new aquired responsibility adds to his extending empire!

No one can answer your question but you. If you're losing responsibility then sounds like its going backwards. Stay or go?

Personally I'd talk to the most senior person that I was friendly with and get their veiws on it. Then go from their.

Money ain't everything.

Good Luck,
Iain

==> I'm at a point where my reputation precedes me and I don't feel as if I need to prove myself.
That statement says quite a bit.

Ok, if it's true that your reputation precedes you and, as you say, "This successor doesn't think much of me and quite frankly seems to be cutting me out of the picture.", what's to say that this successor is not acting in response to your reputation?

Is is safe to assume that since you don't feel you need to prove yourself to him, that you haven't made any serious effort to show him what kind of assest you can be?

I think it's quite possible that your reputation is not preceding you, and that your successor doesn't really know you at all. Based on the assumption that you've done little on your part to allow him to get to know you, then it's quite possible his reaction is based upon what appears to be apathy on your part.

There are two sides to almost every coin.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Kocheace,

The managing partner for our office has hired his successor in preparation of his departure within the next year or so.

So the managing partner is still there? Is this your direct superior? If so, I would find out why your job duties are going to the new managing partner. I don't know what your duties are, but I'm sure that the managing partner is going to have more than enough to do in the future. It's possible that right now, he/she just doesn't have enough to do.

Without making a comment about the high turnover in upper management (you should be concerned about that, btw), make sure this new person is welcomed into your group instead of made to feel like an interloper. If they weren't given a tour of the office and introduced to everyone, did you make it a point to introduce yourself and let them know what they could come to you for?

I never assume anything when a new worker comes into the office, regardless of position, especially if any type of competition is perceived.

Sugar always works better than vinegar.

It may be that your age is showing, as possibly, immaturity?

After being with a company for 4 years (or less), it's dangerous to think your reputation precedes you. Is this the supervisory position you have posted about before? If so, please, please, PLEASE rethink your "my reputation precedes me" attitude, and start working with your coworkers instead of with your own ego.

Please also give us an update if we're headed in the wrong direction with this.

One possibility is that he just plain doesn't like you, for whatever reason (you resemble someone else he doesn't like, doesn't like your choice in clothes, your body language, etc. etc.)

The other possibility is that they're being ambitious, and see you as someone they can shove aside. Company politics bears a strong resemblence to the schoolyard. It's just got a veneer of politeness on top of it.

I suggest you read some books like "100+ Tactics for Office Politics" and "What Your Boss Doesn't Tell You Until It's Too Late : How to Correct Behavior That Is Holding You Back"

Chip H.

Passing thought about his taking your responsibilities: if he's been hired to do managing partner's job after managing partner retires, it may be he's a bit short of things to do at the moment, while managing partner is still in post, assuming managing partner is a work-until-end type rather than an in-job-retirement type. It's always easier to see what someone else is doing and copy than find a different niche.

If this person is learning from the about-to retire managing partner, and the new managing partner doesn't think much about you, hate to say it but that could mean the current managing partner doesn't have much to say about you either. Just IMO.

However, age doesn't benefit a manager, but maturity does. If you're waltzing into work whenever you feel like it and leaving when you deem necessary, then this makes you look unreliable to certain people. I would take the time to at least set a regular schedule, so incase this guy needs to talk to you, you're there. If there's an office calendar, make sure that you mark on there when you have to leave for outside meetings, doctor's appointments, vacation days, etc, if you aren't already.
Also look around your desk: is it cluttered with Mountain Dew bottles and bobble heads, or orderly professional?

Also, I would cool it on saying that you don't need to prove yourself. If you have that high of a change over in upper management, you will have to CONSTANTLY prove yourself. If this is something that you do not want to do, then you may want to look for another job elsewhere.

Your reputation in most cases is only as good as your last project. "What have you done for me lately" is the status quo, and the things you did to make your last boss get promoted, or more highly compensated do nothing to win your new boss prestige. If you want to look good in your new bosses eyes, you have to forget about making you look good, or building your preceeding reputation, and make his reputation what preceeds his area of responsibility. Good leaders, bad leaders, nice bosses, jerk bosses, they all want to look good, and unless they are stupid(some are) , they see who makes them look good, and make sure to keep those people doing so.
Also, if your efforts are about building a reputation that preceeds you, then your value is limited to what you do yourself. If your efforts are focused on developing the team to improve the reputation of the team by adding value to others by sharing your knowledge, experience, and expertise, then you multiply your efforts.
I will use two books to try to illustrate my point. A good book on leadership I have found is called "developing the leader within you", it can help you become a good leader. Another book I recomend, "developing the leaders around you" can help you get past good and to multiply your effectiveness. When you can start making your preceding reputation translate into developing others to do the same, then you have a truly preceding reputation, and you will not even have to worry about your own reputation any longer. Others will be making your reputation for you.
In one organization I am in, half the leaders in it have reported directly to me. Half the leaders in positions percieved to be aboce me in the structure, previously reported directly to me. When the top two leaders meet to discuss strategic plans, no one else "above me" is included in the planning. I however am always invited, I do not require or seek a position of power or leadership, I do not need that to lead. I have influence which is the key component to leadership, it is derived from relationship, not power, or a reputation which preceeds you. If you want influence in your organization, start developing realationships with your subordinates, colleagues, those you report to, customers, vendors, janitors, etc. That is what will create a reputation that preceeds you. By the way, in this organization, those in positions "above me" would probably be suprised to learn, they are not more highly compensated than I am.
Get to know this new guy, buy him lunch, develope a personal relationship with him. Let him know you are a team player, and that you want to contribute to the plan he is putting in place. Ask him about his vision for the future, and how you can help implement it. Find out what matters to him, encourage him, find a place in his vision and make it yours, and then deliver results to achieve it. If you are an ally who can deliver, and whom he has a trusting relationship with, you could see a change in his attitude towards you.
If not, start looking for a new job.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

Wow...These have been excellent post. I'm not exactly sure where to start. I think all of you have touched on something that has given me some food for though. Every post isn't going in the right direction but it provides an outside opinion that is objective.

I think it's a combination of just about everything that has been posted except for the "immaturity" post. Inexperience would have been a better choice of words. Unfortunately experience only comes with time. Therefore I resort to forums and more experience veterans such as yourselves and my contacts.

There's definitely some agism going on. I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is not being developed. I've recruited and developed everyone to a point where I'm almost out of the realm of being a hands on manager. I've scheduled management courses and trained at other facilities within the last month to continue to develop myself. Unfortunately I don't think much is going to change until the "Changing of the guards". In the meantime, I can only change my perception of the situation.

Say 'ello..... to my little friend!

Kocheace said:
Every post isn't going in the right direction ...
Please enlighten us, what is the right direction?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I've recruited and developed everyone to a point where I'm almost out of the realm of being a hands on manager.
What are you, then?

Are you a manager or a supervisor?

What are your qualifications for being a manager?

What is your age?

What I can't deal with is not being developed.
Dictionary definition of immaturity: not fully grown or developed: lacking complete growth or development.

In your own words you say you are not developed. So obviously, you are also immature, correct?

always keep in mind that we can't always change someone's view on us. We can only change how we react to that person.

If you think that you're not being developed, step up and say that you want to be developed. Volunteer yourself for projects, ask to sit in on meetings that might deal with something that you want to work on. Those things are what get you noticed and help keep up your reputation. This might see that you're use to being handed projects. He might just be challenging you to see if you step up to the plate.

I should have said it didn't go in the exact direction I anticipated. However, I am satisfied with where it went. Overall this post has served its purpose. The questions I posted were touched on from different perspectives, which is what I wanted.

The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth.

Ignoring answering questions for some reason?

What are you, then?

Are you a manager or a supervisor?

What are your qualifications for being a manager?

What is your age?

And touched on different perspectives? Every post answered the same way, just in different words. Even you said the posts weren't going on the right direction, yet you also say it served its purpose?!?

kHz, do you have some agenda with this guy? He said he got what he needed... probably the most useful part was the therapy of writing out his problem... Ease up

~Thadeus

Maybe he's the new boss? ;-)

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Because two years ago he started another thread saying almost the same thing. He was a database developer for a few months then went to a customer service rep in a copy center and was promoted to a supervisor in the imaging dept for the copy center. And he said he never got a raise for the promotion.

Dollie asked the same questions in her reply. If this is the same job then how did he jump from supervisor to manager and get this great compensation package? If it is a different job from the supervisory position in the copy center, then how did he get a get a great compensation package when he stated 2 years ago he was just really starting out? How can your "reputation precede you" in two years at a new company or four years at the old company (presuming he hasn't moved to a new company)?

It just seems all contrived, and like I said a duplicate post of two years ago.

Just wanted answers that may help in fully answering his questions. If you go to the doctor and say "my arm hurts," the doctor will ask questions to diagnose the problem so he can determine how to treat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back