Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost: Explorer's Folder Pane

Status
Not open for further replies.

glendady

MIS
May 30, 2002
US
It seems that for some reason the folder pane (left side of the Windows Explorer) is completely gray'd out. This was only brought to my attention today, but has apparently been like this for over a month. As a result there is nothing the event log to provide as much as a clue, and searches of M$'s website help little. With the keywords of "Explorer", "Folder", and "Pane" all I get is Frontpage suggestions. The box in question is a Citrix Metaframe server which is load-balanced with another server, which does not have this problem. It has all of the latest patches EXCEPT SP4. It is a Dual P3 Xeon 900Mhz, with 4Gigs of RAM, and over 60Gigs of available hard drive space. The OS is Win2K Advanced Server. Any help would be appriciated.

Sincerely,
Glen Dady

Create a new shortcut on your desktop with this as the target:

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /E,/S,C:
When you use this shortcut, is the left panel still grey?

Ok, there is a fix, but you need to confirm your OS and IE versions.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Version: 5.0.2195 Service Pack 3 Build 2195

Internet Explorer
Version: 6.0.2800.1106
Updates: SP1; Q330994; Q822925

aaaargh bcastner, you beat me to it ;-)

I'll let you know how I make out. Because of it being a production server, there is a whole procedure to go through to get approval to make the change.

Thanks for your help bcaster.

Glen Dady
Mellon Finacial Services
Boston, Massachusetts

marcs41,
sorry, I had the link saved. I just was worried about a possible missing comma in a shortcut. You are too hard to beat marcs41 for this to be a trend.

LOL, I had the page open and was waiting for feedback, just to post only the relevant info.
Bit hey, we're not competing and glendady is served, that's more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back