Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost enable password

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansel

Technical User
Feb 3, 2001
MX
My boss lost the enable password of our 7200 Cisco Router, Can Irecover it?

If there is a SNMP community string setup, you can get the secret 7 password and decode it. Or if the password is not encrypted, it will be in plain site when you get tbe config via SNMP.

If you have physical access to the router, it will involve in reset the router to monitor mode and then booting it again.

Here are the detailed instructions:

Step 1  Attach an ASCII terminal to the console port on your router.

Step 2  Configure the terminal to operate at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 2 stop bits.
Step 3  If you can log in to the router as a nonprivileged user, enter the show version command to display the existing configuration register value. Note the value for use later and proceed to Step 6. If you cannot log in to the router at all, go to the next step.
Step 4  Press the Break key or send a Break from the console terminal. If Break is enabled, the router enters the ROM monitor, indicated by the ROM monitor prompt (rommon1>). Proceed to Step 6. If Break is disabled, power cycle the router (turn the router off or unplug the power cord, and then restore power). Then proceed to Step 5.
Step 5  Within 60 seconds of restoring the power to the router, press the Break key or send a Break. This action causes the router to enter the ROM monitor and display the ROM monitor prompt (rommon1>).
Step 6  Set the configuration register using the configuration register utility; enter the confreg command at the ROM monitor prompt as follows:
rommon1> confreg
Answer yes to the enable "ignore system config info?" question, and note the current configuration register settings.
Step 7  Initialize the router by entering the reset command as follows:
rommon2> reset
The router initializes, the configuration register is set to 0x142, and the router boots the system image from Flash memory and enters the system configuration dialog (setup) as follows:
--- System Configuration Dialog --
Step 8  Enter no in response to the system configuration dialog prompts until the following message is displayed:
Press RETURN to get started!
Step 9  Press Return. The user EXEC prompt is displayed as follows:
Router>
Step 10  Enter the enable command to enter privileged EXEC mode. Then enter the show startup-config command to display the passwords in the configuration file as follows:
Router# show startup-config
Step 11  Scan the configuration file display looking for the passwords (the enable passwords are usually near the beginning of the file, and the console login or user EXEC password is near the end). The passwords displayed look something like this:
enable secret 5 $1$ORPP$s9syZt4uKn3SnpuLDrhuei
enable password 23skiddoo
line con 0
 password onramp
The enable secret password is encrypted and cannot be recovered; it must be replaced. The enable and console login passwords may be encrypted or clear text. Proceed to the next step to replace an enable secret, console login, or enable password. If there is no enable secret password, note the enable and console login passwords, if they are not encrypted, and proceed to Step 16.

Caution Do not execute the next step unless you have determined you must change or replace the enable, enable secret, or console login passwords. Failure to follow the steps as shown might cause you to erase your router configuration.
Step 12  Enter the configure memory command to load the startup configuration file into running memory. This action allows you to modify or replace passwords in the configuration.
Router# configure memory

Step 13  Enter the privileged EXEC command configure terminal to enter configuration mode:
Hostname# configure terminal

Step 14  Change all three passwords using the following commands:
Hostname(config)# enable secret newpassword1
Hostname(config)# enable password newpassword2
Hostname(config)# line con 0
Hostname(config-line)# password newpassword3
Change only the passwords necessary for your configuration. You can remove individual passwords by using the no form of the above commands. For example, entering the no enable secret command removes the enable secret password.
Step 15  You must configure all interfaces to be not administratively shut down as follows:
Hostname(config)# interface fastethernet 0/0
Hostname(config-int)# no shutdown
Enter the equivalent commands for all interfaces that were originally configured. If you omit this step, all interfaces are administratively shut down and unavailable when the router is restarted.
Step 16  Use the config-register command to set the configuration register to the original value noted in Step 3 or Step 7, or to the factory default value 0x2102 as follows:
Hostname(config)# config-register 0x2102
Step 17  Press Ctrl-Z (hold down the Control key while you press Z) or enter end to exit configuration mode and return to the EXEC command interpreter.

Caution Do not execute the next step unless you have changed or replaced a password. If you skipped Step 12 through Step 15, skip to Step 19. Failure to observe this caution causes you to erase your router configuration file.
Step 18  Enter the copy running-config startup-config command to save the new configuration to NVRAM.
Step 19  Enter the reload command to reboot the router.
Step 20  Log in to the router with the new or recovered passwords.
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Do you know the snmp community of the router? If so there is a really simple answer. Reply and I'll give you the details.

Ahh, the good old RXBOOT trick. Gotta love it. Someone in my group changed all of the enable secrets on our routers to "a", had to reload a few before I tried that :)

NERIC i have a routers at our clients some times they change enab pass (tey should not) and i must go to there their office to resolve problems, and all our routers (cisco) have snmp community RO & RW how can i get the enab pass ?

thanks in advance.

anyone try the 'ol "show tech" at the user prompt??
If the enable pass is encrypted with MD5, you are outa luck, but otherwise this is a back door without have to change the config register that is used by Cisco systems field techs

I install IOS to Cisco 3660 router, IOS version c3660-i-mz.121-5.bin
Then Configuration register was 0x1820
I Changed it to 0x2102
and changed "boot sytem flash:c3660-i-mz.121-5.bin"
Then I reload
AT the end It enters "romon " mode
What is the wrong ?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor