Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost enable password, can I tftp an old config with a known password? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidanEnos

MIS
Dec 11, 2000
I have old config backups, can I snmpset them or tftp them to my Cisco 7204 running 11.1 and reboot the router to get the old enable passowrd back?

Thanks,

AidanEnos

The question would be , do you currently have access to your router? If you have a level 7 encrypted password go ahead and post it and maybe we can resolve your issue. #-)

If you happen to have configured RW SNMP community string, you have access to upload config files. This bypasses all the login and password security. Fun huh?

Mike S

yes, we have a RW community string... will this allow us to changae the enable password without having to do the 'local logon, change a registry flag' procedure?

AidanEnos

use a SNMP tool like CONFIGUPLOADER from solarwinds.net to download the current configuration, edit it and then upload it. The tool will also write the new config to NVRAM. The demo from their site runs for 30 days before it dies off.

This shows the value and the danger of having a RW SNMP community string.

Mike S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back