Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost drive letter randomly windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSWE

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2004
SE
Windows XP Sp1 eng.

I have a big problem with a few clients in my company. Some client looses their Home folder randomly ( H:\ ). It get disconnected for some reason and must be reconnected from the NT Explorer (or restart). I haven't found anything in common for these clients but it do happend, the H-drive is just gone (disconnected)! For some users this happends once/month, for others 3-4 time a day!!! The H-drive is always connected during logon as it should.

We have redirected User Shell Folder to H:\My Documents on all clients.

Any suggestions?

I don't think this is it, I've seen that solution. My problem is that the drive i completly gone, not just a red cross. Also this only happens to the H-drive and never to any of the other 5-7 drive mappings ( they are all connected the same way from the logon script ).

Three other thoughts:

1. Make certain the mapping is a fixed map; i.e.

net use * \\server\%username% ; will work, and if H is the first drive letter will assign it.

Preferred in this case:
net use H: \\server\%username%

2. Fast User Switching can lead to the disconnection; e.g.

Logon script reads:

net use H: \\server\%username%

Switch to a user without a Home directory defined, say the local Administrator. The net use fails, and the drive is unmapped.

3. I did find one site where a .bat or .cmd process was being run that included a mapping to a fixed drive letter, something like:

**** example.bat
net use h: \\machine2\backup\%username% ; overmapping
xcopy *.* H:
net use h: /delete ; clean up temporary mapping. Home is now gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back