Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost DNS server... I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnduggie

Programmer
Sep 21, 2002
CN
Hi...

I've a client machine on a small win2000 Lan here in China. The lan keeps on losing the internet but I discover that a programme busy downloading is still downloading - and a web page I have I can still refresh.

But no new web pages can be found.

Ping reports 'unknown name' on a name ping and times out on an IP number ping.

The internet is effectively not there, but it is there. So I surmise the DNS server has gone down.

That server is outside our lan I suppose.

My question is: how can I check that this is really the problem. What might cause it. What can we here in the lan do about it - i.e. can we have our own dns server or something... or restart theirs?

regards
abrogard

All the things you have described should not be happening. Need a little more info. From the command line get an "ipconfig /all" from a workstation. See if the DNS points outside or inside. If inside is providing DNS, get the config from that device too. Then we can get an idea of what is happening. You shouldn't be able to refresh a web page if the DNS is down. There must be a proxy or forwarding device somewhere inside. Jim - Synnex Info Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back