Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOST DATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2002
US
I have a WIN2K server that is losing data. Basically a file here and there. Seems it maybe memory is leaking. Anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this problems. Thanks

It's not a replication issue (i.e. DFS shares etc.)? Are there disk utilities running in background? Is user deleting etc? Never heared of data vanishing.

Memory leaks wont delete files on a hard drive. It's either user error or you're infected. Run a virus scan (with updated defs) then ad-aware and The Cleaner by moosoft.

Good luck,

FredUG

Wescoosoft, the answer is no to your first two questions, and don't believe anyone is deleting data, however its possible.

FredUG, no problems on virus scan.

The way its happening makes me believe it maybe RAM also. Bad DIMM possibly? I will check this and see what happens.

Bad ram will not delete files on your drives. Virus scanners do not detect most trojans which is why I suggested The Cleaner. The user is either deleting them or the box infected and/or hacked. Files just don't disappear.

Hope that helps,

FredUG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back