Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Connection Elements in Element Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NARSBARS

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
US
I brought up Element Mgr. today and had the (few) entries I was expecting. I added several new elements since several BCMs have been upgraded to 4.0. After closing E.MGR and reopening all the elements were gone, including the original elements. I rebuilt all sites, tested and closed and opened. All elements gone.
I will remove E.MGR and reinstall from a fresh download from a 4.0. Does anyone know where the data files live for the sites I build? With a backup of the sites I could just copy them back to the correct location.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

NARSBARS

I completely removed E.Mgr and reinstalled from a fresh download. I rebuilt all sites. I closed E.Mgr between sites and reopened, so far so good. When I shut down E.Mgr for five minutes to do something else and then when I reopened everything was gone again!!!!!!!!!
My PC does not have viruses or trojans or any malware.
Please any guesses??????

NARSBARS

The following path is where the sites are stored. They are in the summary file. C:\Program Files\Nortel\Business Element Manager\BusinessElementManager\bin\access . I have had the same problem a few times. No resolution as it has only occured 2 or three times. I just make a copy of the summary file so I can restore the elements easlily.

bmctech

Thank you ****** this indcates the star I am sending.

I am experimenting now to find out if changing the name from the default IP address as name could be contributing.

I will rebuild, copy, test, and report back.

NARSBARS

bcmtech,

Thanks to your tip I rebuilt six sites using the default IP address as the name. I can close E.MGR and reopen and lose nothing. If I rename several sites and reopen I am OK.
If I wait five minutes and reopen all sites are gone.
This is getting very annoying. I intend to beat on it til I get an answer.

At least now I can restore the sites after each loss. I am also unable to open the xml file because I get an "invalid character" message when attempting to open the file to look at it. This is the same file that works when restored to the access directory.

NARSBARS

We have all of ours named using the City they are in. I have not had a problem, but another guy in my group has. We have around 45 systems in ours. We have several people using it. Only one person has had the problem of losing all the systems. I wish they would create an element Manager with a client server setup. It would make it so much easier than updating each computer running element manager.

Renamed all sites A,B,C,D, etc. They stayed in place.
I am convinced it is something to do with the naming.
I am using City (space) Agency name. I will lengthen the names and see what happens.

NARSBARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back