Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Client Index in GUI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaiHawkins

Technical User
May 24, 2007
US
Hi
I am running Networker 7.4.4 on Win Server 2003

I have gone to do a restor efor a particular client and noticed only the last 2 days are showing available in Networker User.

I have chcked and the retention and browse settings are for 1 year.

I have run the command -
mminfo -s BKPServer -av -p -q "name=T:\,client=clientname"
which shows the backups for the last year with SSID etc

Anyone know how I could restore Data from a few months ago ??
All help would be much appreciated.

Hi,
You can Follow the procedure below to get the savesets browseable again.

1. mminfo ?avot ?c client_name
(Browse though the output to look for the saveset ID for the user's recovery.)
2. Check on the "level" of the target saveset that the user needs to recover, as if it is an incremental request to perform the instructions below for the most recent, along with all incremental before
the desired date.
3. mminfo ?av ?q ssid=XXXX ?r cloneid
(To obtain cloned YYYY)
4. nsrmm ?e "mm/dd/yy" ?S XXXX/YYYY
(The mm/dd/yy is the date the user would like the saveset to be browsable from.)
5. nsrmm ?o notrecyclable ?S XXXX/YYYY
(Input "y" when it asks to mark the saveset as not recyclable.)
6. mminfo ?avot ?c client_name
(From the output, the user will be able to see the saveset worked on is now becomes "cr").
7. mminfo ?avot ?N index:client_name
(Locate the index that is being backed up with the target saveset and mark down its time.)
8. nsrck ?L7 ?t "mm/dd/yy" client_name
(Input the time obtained from 7 within " ".)
9. mminfo ?avot ?c client_name
(From the output, the user will be able to see the saveset worked on now becomes "cb".)
10. Repeat the above steps for any further saveset requires. If no more saveset operations are required, double check within NMC to make sure volumes required are available for recovery (Volume
required information can be checked within NW user GUI or previous mminfo output within 1.).
11. Perform recover through the NW user GUI and change the browse time. Now you shall be able to see the data for recover.

HTH,
Rovin D'Souza.

Hi I have just been going through this and thought I would see what info i got jumping striaght to step 9, out of curiosity.

All savesets are already showing as browesable.

Then, this might be an issue with multiple clientid for the same client i.e. shortname and long name. You can check this by using the following mminfo query.

mminfo -av -q client=<client_shortname> -r clientid
mminfo -av -q client=<client_FQDN> -r clientid

Compare the 2 output. In case they are different then you will have to delete one of the clientid's to resolve this issue.

HTH,
Rovin D'Souza.

Rovin

yes I do get 2 different client id's
how do i delete one of them and how do I know i am deleting the crrect one ?

Appreciate the help.

David

You cannot delete client id's. You can, however, reassign a client id to a different n/w client.

In addition, backup savesets are owned by client id, not client names.

Questions:

- when are you trying to recover from?

- determine the ssid of the saveset you are trying to recover. Also determine what is the client id for that saveset. Is that client id the same as the current client id for the client you are trying to recover from? If it is, then this is not likely a client id issue.

- you said that the hostname and the fqdn have their own client id. Does both hostname and fdqn show in the NetWorker's client's alias list? If so then this adds to the problem, because for all the names specified in the alias field, only one of them should have a client id associated to it.

Worse case scenario... perform a saveset recovery...

The solution depending on your answers... good luck...

When looking at client id's, it's better to run something like the following, and then examine the output file:

mminfo -avot -r client,client | sort | uniq > clientid.txt

( 'uniq' is a Unix utility )

The reason for this is because you may not know what the fqdn is, or there may be a number of different fqdn's.

This will show all the uniq client-client id's for all the backup savesets still in the media database.

Caution: the above mminfo will only report based on what saveset backups are still known in the media database.

For example. If you create a new NetWorker client, it will calculate and assign a client id to it. If you then try the mminfo query, you will not see that client listed, because it has not yet backed up any savesets.

Hi All thanks for all the reponses.
I have determined that the saveset is associated with the current client id.
For that saveset I ran the scanner -i command, this particular saveset then becam available in the NW gui and I was able to restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back