Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost CD=ROM after running Clean Sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruspc

Technical User
Jun 15, 2002
US
After installing Norton's System Works (Pro) 2002 I ran one of the utilities called Clean Sweep. When I finished I noted my F:CD-ROM and G:CD RW were no longer listed under My Computer. I have been unable to reinstall them. I tried to uninstall Norton's, but the uninstall did not work. I Removed Norton's via Control Panel. Many of the files are still on the hard drive. Any suggestions for re-intalling CD Drives?

Thank you,

Rus

Do a "Add Hardware" on the system. Should be able to pick-up the drives and re-create the links.

HTH, AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

AVCHAP,

Thanks for your reply.

My face is a little red. The IDE cable was
askew on the MB. Could't figure out why
I could not re-install with ADD Hardware.
All is well with both drives. I guess it
was just a coincidence it happened right
after I ran Clean Sweep.

However, now I have a modem problem. AOL says
cannot initialize modem. I reseated it, but no
luck so far. Am on the backup computer.

Thanks again.

Rus

a lot of times just removing and then reinstalling the device drivers will fix the problem. If it does not then try this:

1. remove the device drivers from the computer.
2. shut the computer down and remove the modem from the mobo
3. start your computer and verify there is no modem device present.
4. shutdown your computer and reinstall your modem
5. start your computer and ensure the device drivers are properly installed (depending on the version of windows you use this may happen automatically, or you may be prompted to set up new hardware when the modem is detected)

issac75,

Thanks for your reply.

At first I cured it by installing the modem in another ISA
slot after REMOVE. It worked OK for a couple of sessions online then the problem recurred. I changed the slot again, but it was not a permanent fix. The last fix was merely REMOVE / REBOOT / INSTALL. We'll see how long it lasts. It is only a matter of mouse clicks, but annoying.

The only thing I noticed was that the original IRQ was 5 and it changed to IRQ 9 after the re-install. The other irony is when it wasn't working I checked setting via Control Panel and there was a message, "This device working properly". I have not added any new hardware recently to cause an IRQ conflict.

Rus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back