Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost cardfile data

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahamim

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
US
A few days ago, I opened my cardfile and discovered, to my great dismay, that the only entries were the few I've configured for synching to my Palm Pilot. I guess I must assume that I set the synch for "Palm-overwrites-SK" at some point, though that's not the current setting and I'm usually pretty careful.

To make matters worse, I had to reboot in the meantime. Even so, the date in the userdata subdirectory for address.skcard is 3/14, which does correspond to a synching session, though not the most recent.

Is there any way at all to retrieve my original cardfile data--or am I just toast?

TIA for any reply--even "toast"!

Tony P (rahamim)

Dear Rahamin,
Have you tried just copying and pasting the Cardfile into the same folder and then just opening the copy in Sidekick?

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Is this what you meant:

In the userdata folder, I copied the file named "ADDRESS.SKCARD" to another folder and renamed it "newADDRESS.SKCARD" Then I renamed the original as "oldADDRESS.SKCARD" Next, I opened Sidekick and opened the "newADDRESS.SKCARD" file.

Unfortunately, the "new..." file was the same as the old one.

Also, since I save everything each time I close Sidekick, wouldn't the old files be overwritten by the saves?

On another matter, I recently discovered that all my recurring events are gone. I can't think of anything that would have caused this. I'm starting to wonder if this old buggy should be traded in--except I still really like it.

Tony

Dear rahamin,
Just to set this in context, the Cardfile Data, as you said, disappeared because you overwrote it.
The recurring events problem is a different matter though and I suggest you check out the following FAQs (might be an idea to save them both to view offline too, as they are the only Starfish resource available):

faq807-2966
and faq807-3000
also to give us a better chance of solving this:
What version of Sidekick are you using?
What version of Windows is it on?
Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I have Sidekick 98, and run it on Windows ME. Right now, I have to run. But I'll check the FAQs soon, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for your help--even confirming that my address book is toast.

Tony

When I transferred my Sidekick 95 (within the CD for Word Perfect Suite 7) from my old laptop to the new laptop, all seemed to go okay.

Now whenever I'm working in one of my Sidekick files and "save" it, an icon ____.tmp on the desktop. How can I stop this from happening? I assume something in the Sidekick95 tell it to do so. geonit

Dear geonit,
Is the Cardfile you are opening on your desktop too?
If that is the case then that is perfectly normal.
When Sidekick opens a File it creates in the same folder a temporary file called:

Whatever the name of your Cardfile is.tmp

When you save and close that Cardfile or close Sidekick after saving, the *.tmp file is deleted.
The only time that the *.tmp file remains, is usually if you have crashed the program.
Do not try to delete this file while Sidekick is running and it is also not a good idea to delete this file before you start Sidelick up again if it has crashed as it will have the Data in it that Sidekick had not saved before the crash and will ask you if you wish to reinstate it as Sidekick loads.
HTH
Regards Jim

Dear James,

Sorry to be so long getting back on this. I access Sidekick by the shortcut I put on the desktop or Start, Corel, Sidekick, which is how I did it on the old laptop. My .tem icons appear on the desktop every time I "save" a cardfile. They do not go away. I now dump them in the recycled bin every so often. The .tmp icons different names that show up when I put the cursor on them. As in
datamast.tmp, data.skcard, datainit.skw, dataeven.skw etc.
Mean anything to you?

To compound the problem all my cardfiles (8 of them) transferred to the new laptop okay, except one. It opens as usual and even lists the number of entries at the bottom of the page, but there is no customer info. Cute, eh?

Hope you can shed some light on this. Thanks for your help.

Dear rahamin,
Those names do mean something to me.
They are Calendar files created where you are opening a Calendar file that is on your desktop.
Do a File|SaveAs in Calendar view and then save the Calendar in another location.(preferably on another Partition)
See the first two faqs in this Forum and they will explain the meaning of those Calendar files

Regards Jim

Dear geonit,
My apologies as I rushed the last message off.
The Datainit.skw & Dataeven.skw files are calendar files and are the preferences and events where Data represents the name that you have saved your calendar as and each time that you delete them on Exit, they are being re-created each time you re-start Sidekick.
As I said in the last post, File|SaveAs your Calendar in some other place than your desktop and then delete them and they should not re-appear.

See faq807-2966
Q07 Common Calendar Questions

Copy the entire FAQ and paste it into Word (or whatever) OR better still save the page to view off-line (the links will work as links then) and while you are at, it do the same to

faq807-2966

It will give you the answer to an awful lot of questions about Sidekick...
HTH

Regards Jim

Dear geonit,
My goodness I must be getting old!
and my apologies, I meant these two FAQs:

FAQ807-2966
and
FAQ807-3000

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back