Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Caller ID on Partner ACS using Verizon Fios. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

roycep

Technical User
Jan 30, 2015
US
Hello All, 4 of my Partner ACS customers in NJ have lost caller id. They all have Verizon Fios. They were all working fine, and then the caller id just stopped working. I visited 2 sites, and I am getting the caller id "burst" on my butt set after the 1st ring.

I swapped out the ACS r.7 with one from my stock, which tests fine on my test bench, using my cable service and land line.
It also works fine at another Fios customer site, but my ACS test units, (ACS r.6., r.7 & r8), will not show caller id at the 4 affected sites. This all happened within 2 weeks of each other. The sites are in different towns.

Am working with Verizon to find out if the caller id signal can be adjusted in their C.0.
All 4 sites were working fine. The "bad" units work fine at other Fios sites, for now.
I do get the caller id "burst" after the first ring at the Demarc on my butt set.

The caller id signal has somehow changed on the Fios POTS service.

I'll share the "fix" when one is found. I suspect this will happen to other Partner ACS sites going forward.
Any help would be appreciated.

Techroy, NJ

Welcome to the changing face of telecom. In the end, the FiOS gateway is supplying CID that does not meet BellCore standards. We've had the same issue with ring voltage/cadence from gateway devices. Unfortunately, you can chase your tail for hours and hours, trying to resolve - it MUST be your fault, because all of these unrelated Partner systems conspired with one another to simultaneously break. I have no real advice; only best wishes for a successful and relatively painless outcome.

Mike Forrence

Mike, Thanks for prompt reply, and yes, I agree with your Bell Core Standards statement.
The crazy part of this trouble is the fact that these sites were up and running on Fios for many months/years with no CID issues.
Then one morning, it just stops working.

I will share with Tek-Tips if/when a fix is found.
Thank you.

I have this problem too. I brought an IP Office to the site to test and the caller id works. Since the ACS is no longer supported by Avaya, it's going to be an issue between you and Verizon. Good luck with that!

I don't like saying this, but it may be time to start removing these ACS systems when this sort of problem arises.

Update: Repaired by Verizon on 8-18-17....Verizon confirmed they did some kind of remote upgrade to the Fios Service. After several calls, they admitted it was their problem and fixed it. I do not know what the actually term of the "fix" was, but, it was done remotely.
The Original problem: Fios and caller-id was working fine for months, then the CID just stopped working. The ACS module tested fine, and, the CID "burst" was working at the demarc, but not thru the ACS.
This occurred to several of my clients with Partner ACS 6 & 7, in different towns in NJ.
But, again, problem has been fixed, remotely, by Verizon.
Thanks and Regards,
Techroy, NJ

Star for posting resolution and nice to know at least one carrier is capable of admitting a mistake and fixing it. So many carriers refuse to take the blame for anything they changed, and if you are lucky, it will magically start working after talking to them for the 10th time.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I've got 3 Partner ACS units, R6 and 2 R8's and caller ID is failing on all 3, have been reading above and looks like it is a LEC problem?? I also have an old SW Bell caller ID box and all lines work on it and display every time. Has anyone heard of a possible fix? Trying to convince the LEC (AT&T) they have a problem is next to impossible. Also sometimes caller ID works on some calls, go figure.

Curtis, my original Post of lost CID on the Avaya Partner System was only on some Verizon FIOS accounts in Northern NJ. Calls made by the customer to Verizon Repair fixed the problem. I now carry a cheap analog cordless phone in my van that I connect to the POTS/FIOS analog line to test for raw CID signal. A 500.00 dollar fluke display butt-set is best, but most techs will find that a 25.00 cordless display phone is more affordable as a quick/cheap CID test device.

Also, on the original problem, the CID audible "burst" could be heard on my butt set in monitor mode, but no actual CID was displayed on the Partner Display.
Again, test the line at the demarc with a cheap cordless display phone. Your likely to find your System/Sets are fine.
Regards, Techroy, NJ

Techroy,
I also think my systems are fine. I just installed an IP Office, digital version, in my office to test with. The called ID works every time w/2 of my lines but not the line 3 which is an AT&T copper pair(POTS). My other 2 lines are AT&T wireless because our service is not very good here in the country, 8 miles out of town. I just thought one of you guys could tell me what you told the LEC to fix the problem, that is if you have done so. I know the caller ID is getting here because it works on my butt set and SW Bell caller ID box. My LEC is AT&T for my pots line and my 2 other wireless lines. The wireless lines are just 6 inch square boxes that picks up the wireless signal and plugs into one of the Partner's CO ports. Works great but you don't always see CID on Partner but you always see it on the IP Office. My pots line only displays on butt set and old SW Bell CID box.
Let me know if you have any ideas.
Regards,
Curtis

Curtis,
To confirm: you get good CID VISUAL readout on your butt set and SW Bell ID Box?....ahead of, but not through the Partner?

I had my customers report the no CID trouble to Verizon as: "Vendor gets no caller ID signal at Verizon NID/Demarc". I do not know what the fix was.
Also, your line 3 AT&T copper POTS line with no CID.....does the line have CID turned-on by the LEC? CID on Traditional POTS lines are optional, they must be paid for and turned on at the CO.

Yes, good CID visual on all 3 lines w/butt set and SW Bell CID box but no CID through Partner on line 3(pots/copper) and random CID on the other 2 lines(AT&T wireless boxes). I've tried w/no resolution to report it to LEC(AT&T). They have sent techs to my premise and when they get CID @ demark they say it's my problem and leave. My history just so you know I have been in the comm. business since 1973 w/Bell/American Bell(which lasted about 5 minutes until Judge Green said they couldn't use Bell in the new name)/ATTIS/Lucent/AVAYA and then ATTCOM for 15 years total and then self employed since 1988. Also get no CID on line 3(pots/copper) when installed in the IP Office??? I think there must be some soft key in the AT&T switch that needs to be turned on or off but can't convince anyone down town to look into it. I though I read above that techs were having the CID problem after the demark going through the ACS?? I don't know what the problem is but it is very frustrating. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Regards,
Curtis

Hi Curtis,
I too am former NJ Bell & AT&T....lots of years.....great companies & memories.

If you are getting visual CID at Demarc, your right, most Verizon techs will say it's your problem.
If you have a spare ACS processor, give that a try, and, bring the suspect ACS back to your shop and see if it works there.
Is there another module in your system where you can try different line ports?

TouchTone Tommy - are you there Brother? I'm out of ideas.

Best,
Techroy, NJ

Techroyce,
Like I said, I've tried 3 ACS processors and an IP Office and still a no go. I have also tried other line ports in the 308 exp. mod. still no luck. This is my office phone system so I guess I will just buy 3 CID boxes from Wal-Mart and use them. I haven't had any complaints from my Partner customers so maybe it's just a distance/cable problem that affects me alone, I am about 10-11 miles from the CO and we have a lot of cable problems out here. Thanks for your help. If I find out anything new I will be back.
Regards,
Curtis

Partner and Merlin telephone systems came into being long before the push to VoIP. The systems expect Caller ID to adhere to Bellcore standards. Consumer telephones tend to be more tolerant of any deviation, so, a consumer grade telephone might be able to process Caller ID at a particular location while an Avaya system can't. While IP Office is more recent, I don't know how tolerant it is as it relates to Caller ID.

My question to at&t would be, Are the phone lines true POTS from beginning to end, or, is there some sort of conversion taking place somewhere between the CO and the office?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Dexman,

Rec'd.....Thanks for reply.

Techroyce, NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back