Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost both my CD and DVD drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2007
US
Please help both my CD and DVD drives were working this morning and I came home tonight and neither are working I have unplug both drives and plugged back up, NOTHING... I also tried to do a system restore but for some reason my computer will never do a system restore... I have had to do a total system reformat before, but really don't won't to do that if I can get out of it... Can anyone help me with this.. I was thinking that maybe the CPU port may have went out,since both of them went out at the same time, but what could have cause it if that is what has happened, and what can I do about it besides buying a new motherboard.. Thanks for any help

(When I go into MY COMPUTER the drives are not even there, like they don't exist, but when I restart the computer both lights work during reboot)

gmtillman

the motherboard needs drivers, if you reinstalled after a format. did they ever work?

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

This is a common problem with XP. Some are fixed with a filter value change in the registry. Some are fixed with hardware re-detection.

There is at least one MS provided registry change.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i had this problem with my dvd drive, i downloaded a tool off the internet and it fixed it and my drive was back in my computer.

Here's a good link on how to fix it though:

Asus P5K Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 667 MHz
320GB Sata Hard Drive
ATI EAX1550 Gamer Edition 1GB

Thanks for your the help I did everything I knew but I finally just backed up everything and reformatted the hard drive and I got it back, just didn't understand why it was there one mintue and the next gone.. didn't make any since to me the only thing I didn't different were download some itone songs I didn't even use the drives at all that day... anyway thanks

marti

Apple's iTune software is known to cause the Upper and Lower filters to become corrupt...

the FIX: faq602-5358

but you already have gone and reformated/reinstalled the OS...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back