Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost BIOS menu options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Programmer
Jan 29, 2003
US
I'm trying access my BIOS menu so that I can fiddle with the FSB setting and it seems like the entire menu has been simplified to the piont that nothing more than a trivial task can be done. About six months ago was the last time I opened the BIOS menu and I'm positive I had the option to do things like change the voltages etc but now the most complicated thing I can do is change the drive load up selection. For example, if I click on change clock/voltage settings the only option I get is change Speed Spectrum (enable/disable). What could happen to affect my BIOS menu like this, and more importantly how do I fix it without spending money? Its a Phoenix AwardBios.

You might try setting the CMOS setting to default by clearing it. Should be covered in the M/B manual (usuallly a jumper marked clear) or by removal of the battery for 10 to 15 minutes.
It is possible that the battery is weak and losing settings, but this is just a guess.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS update

You're at the mercy of the OEM that issued your BIOS. If you've recently upgraded your BIOS, you may have been subject to selection changes that the OEM felt you should no longer have access to. I've seen selections change and disappear from version to version.

There are certain make/models of mainboard that require extra key commands to open up extended/advanced options.
I remember on my Gigabyte GA-7NNXP you had to press Ctrl F1 to access these extended bios options.
Look in your manual for information indicating similar extended bios access.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back