Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost and Found by Powerquest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daweeb

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
SE
I've understood that Lost and found can't help me with files on a hard drive which does not respond. But if I've deleted a large amount of data (20gb), newly added, and has not filled that deleted space with anything. Shouldn't it be possible then to use Lost and Found to retrieve the deleted files?

Please help me with this question..

Thank you!

Daweeb

Maybe , if you can find it. Last time I looked , it was gone. You could also use the Norton Utilities undelete. Just don't put it on the computer.
I think lost&found was for a more problamatic undelete, where even the fat links were corrupted. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

yep, you could at least try. when files are deleted they are only written ove in the first letter of the filename, and if you havent written data to the drive since or defragged it you should be able to retrieve the data. js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

OK FatesWebb, lets give the full explanation.
When files are deleted the directory entry has the first letter of the filename overwritten with a non printable character that the OS recognises as a vacant entry location. The file allocation table is modified to make the clusters available for use when needed.
If you haven't written data to the drive to overwrite the directory entry or the fat links and your windows hasn't overwritten either of them you can probably recover them.
And you could do it with DOS and Norton's disk editor by changing the leading character in the file name to a valid one. Your problem would be when you run out of clean clusters and start using those associated with the files you deleted. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for the advices!!
It was 19 gb of data so i believe that something of the data should be availible for undelete then.
Is it correct that DOS or Norton's disk editor should be the best choice for me?
Thanky you!
Daweeb

edfair: What do you mean with: Norton Utilities undelete. --> Just don't put it on the computer??
That i shall have it on floppys?
daweeb

Just wondering, again...
If i use for example Nortons UnErase from Utilities 8.0. When I'm unErasing files, can i just put them back on the drive or do I have to save them like on a floppy?

Thank you again guys!

Daweeb

The reason you don't want to put Norton on the hard drive is that it might overwrite some of the data you want to recover. Just run it from the floppy.

You will be undeleting them. Will be changing the directory entry and resolving the FAT. Files will stay on the HD. You can take them off at any time, but if you shuffle stuff in the middle of the job one mistake can cause data loss. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back