Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost access to CD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeAgro

Technical User
Feb 22, 2000
US
My Pentium 200 has four IDE devices installed.&nbsp;&nbsp;A Master HD and Slave CD burner on the Primary channel and a removeable Syquest HD (M) and CD (S) on the second channel.<br>The operating system is WIN98 SE.<br>Everything was working fine up to a couple of days ago.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now only the master devices of each channel are found.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also the devices are now running in capatability mode instead of 32 bit.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can't access from DOS either though they are found by the bios and displayed during bootup.<br>The system setup has not be changed during this transition period. I have tried to remove/reinstall, find a better driver, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since both masters are accessible I think the IDE interfaces are OK but could be wrong.<br><br>Does anyone have any suggestions.

If you are running in compatability mode, then it sounds like there may be a driver conflict somewhere. What drive(s)&nbsp;&nbsp;is/are running in compatability mode? Check device manager under hard disk controllers and post what it says. Also what kind of Mobo? do you know which chipset it uses? <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Both channels are running in compatability mode.&nbsp;&nbsp;I mentioned that nothing has been changed in the system BUT now remember adding 32 mg.&nbsp;&nbsp;Have to look into this and other suggestions and will post progress.<br><br>Thanks....Joe

And what virus checking are you doing. Several force compatibility mode and don't let 32 bit drivers load. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

Adding memory should not adversely affect this issue. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Check the Performance Tab in System Properties and see what it says about the drive performance. For example, if it says MBR modified, you can bet you have a bootsector virus. If it is a driver loading from Dos it should tell you something to that effect.<br><br>If it merely says &quot;Dos compatability mode&quot; you may want to try searching the registry for &quot;NOIDE&quot;, without the quotes.<br><br>This setting will be placed in the registry after a failed attempt to enumerate a PCI based IDE controller and until it is manually removed your drives will never operate in 32bit mode.<br><br>You may also want to review MS KB article Q130179<br>for other tips.<br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Update:<br><br>As I mentioned before the IDE controllers are running in MS-DOS compatability mode.&nbsp;&nbsp;No conflicts in resources.&nbsp;&nbsp;No NOIDE entry in the registry.&nbsp;&nbsp;No bootsector problems.<br><br>Can boot with a WIN98 floppy with CDROM support see and access both CDROMs.<br><br>Leaning towards finding a virus detector or simply reformating and starting over.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since this is my wife's machine that is used only for Internet access and the little CDROM copying I do, reformating is not much of a problem.<br><br>I'm going to find the MS article mentioned first before taking either course.<br><br>Thanks to everyone that jumped in with immediate excellent troubleshooting advice.<br><br>Best Regards....Joe

FOUND IT!<br><br>I had disable 32bit disk access checked in the file troubleshooting section AND NOW I remember when and why I checked it.&nbsp;&nbsp;That will be the subject for another thread, enough for now.<br><br>Thanks to everyone.<br><br>Joe Agro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back