Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost ability to copy/paste photos from web to Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickscript

Technical User
Jul 25, 2005
US
I don't know why but suddenly I have lost the ability to copy/paste with photos from the web into Word (or any other office program also). If I highlight a portion of a webpage that contains a photo, copy it to the clipboard and try pasting it into word, the text will appear but no photos. It worked fine up until a week ago and I can still accomplish it using Adobe Acrobat's convert web to pdf function. Any ideas on why this ability has been lost? I don't want to have to reinstall MS Office but I will if I have no alternative.

hello

what happens if you right click on the image and copy it to the clipboard that way? can you paste the image then?

frainbreeze

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.

Hi rickscript,

This may be due to a change in your PC's firewall settings. Have you changed those recently?

Cheers

frainbreeze,
Thanks for the reply...no, right clicking and copying to clipboard does nothing..when I click to paste into word I get notheing except the cursor moves down the page as if it pasted in an invisible photo

macropod,
I can't be sure about the exact timing but I did activate the windows firewall awhile back (I am on SP-1, had troubles with SP-2 and restored back to SP-1, but that was ages ago) Does the firewall have an effect on the copy/paste operation? I can still accomplish the same thing by copy/paste of the text, then saving the photo to my disk then finding the photo and using the insert picture from file function in Word, but to say that is cumbersome is understating it since I need to do this repeatedly on a regular basis. Using Acrobat 7 also works but doesn't allow me to edit the document the same way. As far as the firewall is concerned I can't believe I'd have to disable that to use the paste photo function, please say it ain't so, Joe.

Yeah, I tried combing the office XP forums accessed (no pun) from the windows site and no one had the exact problem I am having, though a few were close. Needless to say, I found no workanle solution. Doesn't anyone have the same problems I have? Since it is happening throughout the entire office suite (Word, excel, outlook, powerpoint, access) it seems like it must be a common file or setting associated with the entire office suite. I am using a hybrid; Word, Excel, Outlook, are all from my first Office XP small business edition CD PowerPoint, Access and Frontpage (also 2002 editions) were added later. I would prefer not to re-install but I may have to. Any one think that by re-installing all 6 programs at once it may be more stable or improve the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back