Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost ability to connect after SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atchett

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
Hi All,

I'm no expert at SQL Server at all and I have a problem that I am getting nowhere with.

I have updated our SQL server 7 to SP4. Following the instructions from microsoft exactly I thought the update went well. However, I now cannot connect from the enterprise manager or our website. This is a bit of a mystery because I can connect to the (local) database from the SQL Query analyser but I cannot connect to the {serverName} database from anything. Surely these databases are the same?

Does anyone have any ideas? Ideally I would like to not have to reinstall SQL Server because I didn't set up all the initial SQL accounts and I don't know what they are to re-enable them.

Cheers in advance,

JB

try using ip address instead of name
can you ping to the server by name and IP

Check you Logins again.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have managed to login by IP address and everything seems to be inplace but still no joy trying to login via ServerName through the enterprise manager.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

JB

can you ping to the server by name and IP

PS I AM OK LETS SOLVE THIS

Hi Rishi146 (aka OK LETS SOLVE THIS!)

I can ping the server by IP and by name from the server itself and by IP from my desktop. So it would seem that it should be OK. However still no joy connecting via server name. Also I can no longer connect via ODBC from my desktop (which was working before the update to SP4). This is a weird one! And the website is still down because I cannot connect from the webserver to the database server. Ahhh! Any more ideas?

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

JB

Yes restart the service and then RESTART the server is that Ok to do

If its a Production server restart it later.

What operating system are you using?
what SQL version?

Hi Rishi146,

I have done the restart of the service (no joy after that had completed) and then the restart of the machine. Again still no joy!

I have been able to ping the server by name and IP from the webserver but still cannot connect via ODBC to the database even by IP address.

OS and SQL versions :
Microsoft SQL Server 7.00 - 7.00.1063
Windows NT 4.0 SP 6a

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

JB

From your Desktop can you ping the server by Name you didnt state that

From your Desktop can you ping the server by Name you didnt state that or does it time out

Hi Rishi,

I can't ping the server by name from my desktop but I can from the WebServer. However when I try to connect via ODBC to either the IP or ServerName from the webserver it comes back with a connection error? And from my desktop when I try to connect via IP it does the same thing. I haven't made any changes to this or anything else apart from the update to SP4?

Pre update everything was working fine.

Cheers,

JB

OK lets break this down First you need to Check if that service pack You installed works correctly on NT 4.0 SP 6a
Check microsoft site

This error is either the network card(i dont think it is) BUT IT IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM PROBLEM. THE SERVER NAME is not Resolving by NAME

A workaround is
YOU WILL NEED TO GO INTO THE HOST FILE IN NT4 AND ADD IN IP ADDRESS AND SERVER NAME in the HOST FILE

Hi Rishi,

I've tried your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't work. I did have to add the name into the hosts file if this helps. I also had a look at the MS website and could find no issues relating to version of WIndows and Version of SQL not working together.

Is there some sort of setting in SQL that can stop people gaining access. I have checked the authentication mode and this is set to mixed mode. Not knowing SQL Server very well I'm kinda stuck now.

Cheers,

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back