Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost a user in windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrou82

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
US
I have set up a network of about 25 users. All of my users initially were able to login to the network and reset their initial password. This was about a month or a month and a half ago. I must have inadvertently forgot to not allow the password to expire, because a few users had to change their passwords again. NOT a problem. Until a few days later one of the users that had to change his password, could no longer login. I even reset his password on the server and no dice. What do I need to do to let this user have the ability to login to the network again? The workstations we are using are windows 98.

Thanks in advance

so, you unlocked the account and reset the password? what message are getting, "unknown username or bad password"?

If he is using 98, you can also try deleting the .pwl file off of his computer...

Justin

brontosaurus: The account wasn't locked, he juss couldn't log in. Now I'm able to login, but he can't access his roaming profile. I edit the registry for all users so that the desktop, my documents and favorites would be stored on the server. Similar to folder redirection, but now when he logs in, he isn't given access to his own Directory.

Kwei: I'll delete the .pwl, but where is it located?

Thanks all

del c:\windows\*.pwl

I made a script that deletes the file after every start. The User must enter his password twice but PWLs are very unsecure and if you change the password without deleting the useres pwl, you get errors. But even if you get an error, remember that you don't need to login correctly to win98. The domain login is enough to work properly.

I didn't delete the *.pwl file, but I did go to the server under the profiles share that I created and I saw that two users had access (FULL) to that user's profile. One being the Admin and the other being some sort of ID user, if that makes sense. This is the exact ID number for that user, a user I never created: S-1-5-21-1292428093-484061587-839522115-1126

This is why the user didn't have access to his profile directory and why it wouldn't roam. He wasnt' set up have any permissions on his profile directory. I still don't know how it caused it or what actually happened, but I did fix it by changing the permissions so that now only the Admin and the particular user had access (FULL) to that user's directory.

Thanks to all those who helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back