Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loss of User rights when converting from FAT partition to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 1999
US
Visit site
While setting up a new NT workstation I did not check the C drive format type which was FAT, we use use NTFS to limit other users impact on the local data files of others on the workstations. So I used the convert command and the drive was converted to NTFS with one major problem. That was the user could no longer access most of his applications. When tring to run a program from the start menu the machine would ask the use to supply a user name and password to access the Administrative Share "C$". I first tried to grant the user rights to all directories but the only fix I could come up with was to recreate the shortcuts and the user was able to run programs. I would like to find out what I may have done wrong anyone got any experience converting to HTFS?

I've never done a conversion after a system was set up, but make sure the group &quot;Everyone&quot; has full access to C:\Program Files&quot;<br>
<br>
It may also be that the Start Menu shortcuts are screwed up. Try naviagatin to a program through Explorer and double clicking the exceutable directly. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You might want to also look at the file level rights. In FAT, only share level rights apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back