Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loss of data on a burned DVDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonguy

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
ok i burnt a DVD with a bunch of mediao n it last spring. i gave it to a friend to copy to his harddrive. now my DVD drive will not read the disc and when i go into my computer the DVDdrive icon turns to C drive and it says nothing is on the disc. what is going on here?

What program did you use to burn the dvd?
Did you verify the data was on the dvd after burning?
Did you friend have any problems with dvd?
Do other burnt dvds work?
Are you using the same computer it was burnt on?

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

no my friend had no problems with the disc. yes i am still using the same computer it was burnt on but i have a different drive now, buit the one i did have which i used to burn the DVDR didn't read it either, it did the same thing. there are some scratches on the disc but that shouldn't affect the problem i have. i used mero to burn. yes i verified the info was on the disc. other burnt dvds do work.

there are programs out there if you need to recover this data (your friend doesn't have it all anymore), just search for burnt dvd data recovery and look for something that looks legit.

ok i tried an application called cdroller. the disc is inserted but the program says its not inserted. now this is my problem too, its not even being read. why? i do not know its very wierd and i'd like to get to the bottom of it. i want to get the data off of it.

Would it be possible for you to take the disk to your friend computer and see what the properties are for the disk.
Specifically what is the File System ?
UDF,
ISO9960,
Juilet,
CDFS,
or other?
Were you using the disk like a floppy where you just clicked and drag file or did you actually burn it?
If you are see if Nero's INCD is still installed properly?
You said you used Nero is it the same software or a new install of an upgrade or anything like that?
INCD uses a UDF format that is a pain, because there are main flavor of UDF and they are all not compatible.

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

A lot of these at first glance may not appear to be DVD related but some of the suggestions coming from them may be worth a try. Pay attention to references to Upper, or Lower filters. Removing InCD temporarily, and uninstalling/removing the DVD drive from Device Manager, rebooting, and letting Windows rediscover it. Checking for driver updates, and also firmware updates with the drive manufacturer might help too.

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

Won't detect Hard Drive
thread779-1316877

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back