Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loss of context while navigating web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlawrence

Programmer
Sep 14, 2000
US
I am working on a web application that uses a COM+ application to implement a shopping cart. While navigating the web, occasionally, the session seems to simply lose its context.

For example, if I'm navigating to detail pages on products, a detail page may generate an error. The error indicates that the primary component for the application is not available. Well, it was there for all previous pages. It gets created in global.asa. Why would it simply dissappear?
If I start a new session, the exact same navigation path and links work just fine.

So, this question is general in nature. What kind of things will cause the loss of session variables. In this case the most critical session variable is a COM object.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Hi Guitardave78,

Thanks for responding. My web host tells me that our server is not in a cluster.

Ron

If it's Windows 2003 there is the recycler process as well that will kill you session.

What a brilliant Idea microsoft had there. "Let's allow you set a session state life in IIS, then have a recycler process come along and kill all sessions even if the session state life that you set in IIS hasn't been met yet. Hmm...how else can we screw with people....I know, let's set the default session to 20 minutes in IIS and set the default time to recycle to 15 minutes. Oh wait that's not enough. Let's have the recycler run independant of your session so if you log on 14 minutes after the last recycle process, your session can only be active for 1 minute, then we'll recycle it for you....because it makes sites more robust!"

To build may have to be the slow laborious task of years. To destroy can simply be the thoughtless act of a single day.

Hi Again, JeepXO!

I know. I know. I'm already considering moves away from Windows, but I have to deal with it for now. Have you been able to do anything concrete about the situations you cited?

Ron

Consider using a database for everything.

You can implement your own sessions without too much hassle if do it this way from the start... retrofitting can be a beeotch unless you've already got some sort of utility include file already in use on most of your pages.

The shopping cart can also be done in the db and could even be an extension of the session depending on the needs of your site.

There's a lot of good information there. Thank you, Tsuji! I've actually seen the "Why won't my session variables stick?" posting before.

The discussion in the thread you referred me to was actually more helpful.

I'll be working through the list!

Thanks again,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back