Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOSS OF CD ROM WHEN SOUND CARD FITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab2

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
GB
Have just finished setting up P3 733 bought second hand. Everything fine. Had been warned onboard sound driver not available but came with Yamaha 724 soundcard.
So fitted soundcard having downloaded driver from net. On reboot sound working OK. Go to My Computer though and have lost cd rom. System says one not fitted. Cd rom still reads discs inserted but obviously not picked up anywhere.
Have tried taking soundcard out, loading driver ( just tells me to insert windows cd which is pointless) and other ideas from my very limited knowledge.
Only thing I can think to do now is format C and start again but as I have just spent 6 hours loading everything am a bit reluctant.
Anyone any ideas please? (dont make it too complicated please, computer moron this end )

Is it recognised in the BIOS? (Press DELETE just after the POST Beep occurs at bootup)

If not, try removing and reconnecting the CD-ROM Data Cables. If it is recognised, there may be a conflict...reisntalling Windows may fix this, but wait to see if anyone comes up with anything else to try first.

Perhaps my notes here can help: thread779-892284

Hi
One important thing I forgot to mention is I am on 98se so the keys mentioned in articles not on here.
Yes I went to BIOS ( which I dont really understand ) and it said cdrom was my secondary IDE, but no other mention unless looking at it wrong.
I have thought about reloading windows but have always done that after format of C. Having spent hours loading software,upgrades etc, if I reload windows will everything else be retained ?
Cheers
John

Reinstalling Windows 98 SE:

1) Make Bootdisk (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Startup Disk Tab)

2) Boot from Bootdisk. Insert Windows 98 SE CD-ROM.

3) Type "D:" (Without Quotations, where 'D' is your CD-ROM Drive letter)

4) Type "Setup" (without Quotations)

5) Follow the procedure (when it asks for the Directory, make sure you use the same directory as the current Windows is)

You will not lose any data this way, but all programs will need to be reinstalled unfortunately.

It is possible the driver for the Sound Card is interfering with the Driver for the CDROM. It is also possible you may be using resources that conflict the two IRQ's. Normally this doesnt occur between a sound card and a CDROM.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

OK I have reloaded windows and now have cd rom. Anyone have any idea how I can get sound ?
According to sisoft and system I have a Roland mpu401 fitted. System says problem with driver. Have downloaded driver but installing new hardware will not recognise it. (recognises I have new audio device but not driver ) Also have the Yamaha soundcard but reluctant to put that back in.
Any ideas from you computer literates please ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back