Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonS

MIS
Sep 7, 1999
US
Visit site
I have a box running Win98 that loses time only on the weekend. I set it on monday last week and it was fine all week untill today it was almost 25 minutes slow. It did the same last weekeknd too. Anyone have an idea as to what it may be? I am stumped....thanks <p>Jason Stroffoleno<br><a href=mailto:jasons@pcgeek.net>jasons@pcgeek.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> "You have not seen nothing like me yet" GB

when is the last time you replaced your BIOS/CMOS battery in the computer? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I don't shut the computer off so would the battery still be a consideration as the problem...I have never changed it/ <p>Jason Stroffoleno<br><a href=mailto:jasons@pcgeek.net>jasons@pcgeek.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> "You have not seen nothing like me yet" GB

Yes it would. The CMOS battery is not rechargeable and has a varying lifespan. Classic symptoms of a failing battery are time loss, and loss of CMOS settings. If it only does it on the weekends... do you have some sort of resource taxing program or utility set to run only on weekends? System intensive programs may cause loss of time. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

how old is the computer? if it is less then 5 years, you may be experiencing the symptoms of low battery power. On most computers built within the last five years or so, the cmos battery is a lithium ion type which is supposed to last for about 5 years. Generally they last about 3-4 years. They are very simple to replace, easier then doing it for a watch battery. Check the battery to see if it has the size written on it before you pull it out. If you can see a size then write it down and take it to a place where they sell watch batteries and buy a new one. When you are ready, pull the old one out and put the new one in.<br><br>My computer running win98 (less then a year old) would lose a great deal of time. It would lose an hour or two for every hour that it was left on. I figured that this was because of the network connection to the school I had. I installed some firewalling software and this fixed the problem. I am still not sure as to why my computer would slow down, but the moral here is that software may also cause the slow down.<br><br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks for all the tips the computer is a few years old so we decided to just get her a new one and use the old one for a test bed...Thanks <p>Jason Stroffoleno<br><a href=mailto:jasons@pcgeek.net>jasons@pcgeek.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> "You have not seen nothing like me yet" GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back