Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing records but don't know why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2003
NZ
I've got a report which drops all staff who's surnames begin with (W, Y, or Z).

When I paste the SQL generated by the report in SQL Server Query Analyser the records are there, 1140 of them, but when I run the report I get 1020, and it ends at the V's.

Turning off the filter has no affect.

Sorting a different way has no affect.

If I change the filer to select left(surname, 1) = 'W' all those reords are selected no problem.

I can't see any settings in the report that could be causing this, and other reports return far more records than this so it can't be an Impromptu setting.

This is weird, any ideas where I should look?

Thanks.

Maybe the SQL is interpreted in another way in Impromptu, some code is not conform to Impromptu?

goof,

Not all elements of the report filter make it into the SQL. Check it carefully and compare it with both the detail and summary filters to see if any local filtering is happening. Also check the report access tab to make sure the report is running on the full database and not a snapshot or thumbnail of a smaller quantity.

Dave G.

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back