Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing Network Connectivity After Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwinnyk

Programmer
May 27, 2003
US
Hello everyone. I've been dealing with this issue for some time now on my laptop, but now it is also happening on my desktop machine, so I figure that it is more than just some hardware issue in my laptop.

The majority of the time when I reboot my laptop, i have zero network connectivity. For instance, no wireless networks will be detected (usually it detects about 5-6 networks). Then I'll plug in my ethernet cable into the local area connection, but the computer never seems to acknowledge the presense of the cable (bubble would say local area connection is unplugged.)

To remedy this situation, I would have to uninstall both components IN SAFE MODE and allow to be detected after i reboot again. If i try to uninstall while in Normal mode, the removal just freezes.

Now this is also happening on my desktop and I have to perform the same operation to solve the problem. It's driven me to the point to where I won't shut down the computer unless I absolutely positively have to.

The only common denominator between the two machines is that they run Windows XP Pro. In addition, their networking hardware is all integrated into the motherboard. If you guys need any more information, let me know and I'll be happy to give it to you.

Thank you so much!!:)

Oh, and both computers have Service Pack 2 installed as well.

Any clues in either Event Viewer?

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

What happens on the desktop pc if you do a ipconfig /release and then do a ipconfig /renew?

What, if any, type of maint. have you performed on both pc's lately?

IPconfig won't do anything if there is no physical connection. You can't establish layer 3(IP)connectivity if you havn't established layer 1(Physical) connectivity.

If you have name-brand computers, you should be able to find system & NIC diagnostics programs. How the computers are hanging, it sounds hardware related.

Are you doing anything strange like packet capture or engineering related that you might like to share with us? I did notice that your profile says programmer. are you writing something that accesses the network card? I'm asking becuase it's odd that two computers would have such a similar problem.

At the risk of sounding offensive (and truly I don't mean to) there is one other thing that both systems have in common: the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back