Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

losing lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

430s

Programmer
Nov 29, 2001
GB
hello,
we have a 032 using 5 analogue exchange lines [ergo 2 trunk cards]. these are loop calling [not earth]
we have changed the cpu and swapped, then changed, the trunk cards. we are about to change the 032 and the trunk cards again.
The reason: periodically line 1 or 3 go out of service on the meridian with no dial tone and or 'not in use' on the lcd.
when Bt [UK: network provider]attend they say there is dial tone at the tjf so it's the switch. we have the switch rebooted by on site staff to no effect. by the time we get there we simply reboot and the bloody line comes back.
bt will not swap lines about etc whilst the fault is there coz they say they have proved the line, period.
we cannot simply replace cards and switches ad infinitum. after this changeout - when it happens again - our only course of action is to change it for, say, a panasonic

and wont it be funny when the panasonic does the same exact thing.

You need to test the line at the point of entry when it is down. Pull the jumpers for that line off the phone system while monitoring with a linemans test set.
See if the line stays down or clears.
That is the only way to be sure where the problem is.
Gabriel

swap cards .if it goes away its the card if it stays its ths ksu

ski season has started

the fault is never there when we are otherwise we would obviously see if the fault follows the i/c line pair. the line, is always proved by bt to be there.
we have already swapped the cards around and changed card one for a new one and this is the second 032 cpu.
we are changing it for a panasonic - watch this space

i think telco is screwin ya ..if you replaced all parts there is no way its the equipment...are the incomming trunks dedicated to just the norstar ksu or are they shared...is the telephone closet a shared space or is telco out in hall way and its a customer extended demarc to the office space to the ksu...also on the panasonic... you get what you pay for

ski season has started

Do you really think changing your equipt. will fix your problem?
You have already swapped out equipt and the problem has not cleared.
The phone company will never admit their problem until you prove it to them.
The fact that you have not been able to catch the problem doesn't help you either.
What do you do when the problem returns after you have installed the Panasonic?
I still think it's Telco until you prove otherwise.
Gabriel

Programmer

I'm having the same problem with an 0x32 also. It's happening on lines 1 and 3 just as yours. Yesterday I looked at the port in Maintenance and it said Not Available. I'm going out to the site again today to do more testing, and to get a current backup of the site programming, before proceeding to reboot. For some reason I'm thinking that it might be software related. Don't know for sure just one of those gut feeling. I'll post again after today. If you have found your problem please let me know.

I have had exactly the same problem on an older 8x24 modular system (I am also in the UK). Although both these systems should NOT be polarity conscious in reality they seem to be (on occassions).

We would press the "line 3" and no dial tone could be heard, I pulled the pair off at the BT dp box and changed the order.

BT wire Blue/White for pair one, so pull this pair off and revserse the wires and this should sort the problem out.

If this does not fix it, switch the first pair (blue/white) with the second pair (orange/white) and see if the problem then moves to line 2 on the switch (which will actually be line 1) if it does then it IS a BT problem. Getting them to admit it is another matter, I would simply tell them you've got a laptop with a built-in modem which periodically will not detect a dial-tone and ask them to "turn up the gain" on this line (they can do this at your local exchange - it simply increases the voltage slightly).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back