Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing DSL when printing across network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbreault

ISP
Sep 16, 2002
US
I lose my DSL connection (I can not ping the ISP's side of my gateway by IP)everytime I print from my laptop (running Win2K Professional), to a printer on another computer on the same LAN (other computer is running Win2K Professional also.

Anyone have any ideas? The connection is restored after I reset the DSL modem (Effective Networks SpeedStream 5660).

Did I stump everyone on this? Not one reply in over 2 days!

No router. My network is setup like this:

DSL line from telco -----> Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5660 (running as a bridge)------> 5 port Netgear hub (unmanagable) ------> to 5 seperate computers with static public IP addresses.

Well... I can try to take a stab at it.

You might need new drivers or firmware for the modem. Check here for your modem support.
The other thing is that you are setup with 5 static public IP addresses? Do they charge you for that?

This could be causing issues from a firewall perspective since your modem has firewall built in. (is this your modem? )

You might consider getting a DSL/Cable router (with DHCP) so you don't have to buy or have 5 static public IP addresses. You would only need one public IP (which would be assigned to the DSL/Cable router) and the router would DHCP the other computers on your network. With some routers you can setup a DMZ and/or host applications, games, and/or websites though the router settings so you only need one IP. This way your network will be internal only from the router in maybe eliminating or isolating the printer problem to just the local network. You may not know what’s happening with the data stream or how your IP's are routing through the SpeedStream 5660 modem to your ISP and back to your computer with the printer.

The only other possibility might be the printer drivers? You might check to see if there are newer drivers for your printer. I've seen weirder things happen.

Good Luck.

Thanks for info. I'll try it out and let you know...

As far as the IPs, I couldn't buy just one, SWBell would only sell me the five.

Hmm, well if it came as a package then I guess thats just the way it comes. Sounds interesting though.

Most providers will ask you how many computers you have that need internet access in your home or business then they will charge you for them. If you have a DSL/Cable Router with (DHCP) you only need to tell them that you only need one IP.

This business of ISP's charging per "computer" is rediculous. The ISP is only paying for IP's and bandwith. Well, your computers will not get any more bandwith then the ISP gives you so it does not matter how many are on your network. Also if you use something that does DHCP (like a DSL/Cable Router) then you would be only using one IP addresses from their pool so they really can't charge you for the any others or charge you for each computer.

The service ISP's provied is bandwith and public IP's. Thats it.

Got one more troubleshooting ides for you. You can try to unplug the DSL modem and see if your print job will route to the printer. This will by pass any routing problems that you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back