Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing Drive mappings to a Novell server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOuellette

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2006
US
I am running Windows server 2000 on a DellGX620 simply being used as a gateway for non Novell useres to access Novell Network drives. My problem is the drive mappings about 2 times a week delete from the GX620, keep in mind no reboot has happened. The only thing i notice is in the Event Viewer, error is as follows;

Source: Svc Event ID: 2000
The server's call to a system service failed unexpectedly. Viewing by "words"
0000: 00040000 00540001 00000000 c00007d0
0010: 00000000 c000000f 00000000 00000000
0020: 00000000 00000000 05290328

Any Ideas if the 2 are even related?

How are you creating this mapping? From Windows utilities, Netware utilities, windows login script, or Netware login script? Or are you trying to run this mapping as a service?

Windows will create a netbios mapping, Netware will create an NCP mapping.

I would recommend doing it from the Netware login script. If your problem is being caused by a network hiccup, Netware does a much better job of reconnecting any NCP channels that were in use.

Here is what we have going on. I have a Novell Server with all the shared drives on it. Most of my user's log on using a Netware login and have Netware logon scripts to map the drives. this works great!...

I have some sattelite offices that for other reasons can not use the novell client and are on a seperate network scheme; but still need access to some drives on the Novell server...
Therefore i created this GX620 running Win2K server as well as a Novell Client. On this system i have NCP mappings to my Novell Server.

In order to give these Sattelite offices access to the drives on my Novell Server i put those users in an Active Directory group and created a Windows Logon script to map them through the GX620(basically a gateway into Novell), which in turn maps to the Novell Server.

I hope i explained this well enough for you.

Thanks

P.S. The mapping(s) i am losing are from the GX620 to the Novell Server, which was created using netware utilities.

Odd. Which version of Netware client? If NMAS is enabled on the client, turn it off. You should only need the Novell client for Windows and NICI.

Is this a pure IP environment?

Novell Client ver 4.83 w/SP2

NMAS was enabled , i will try disabling that and see if it will make a difference.

Also we are using both IPX and IP; IPX on our server side,IP for all of our clients.

Thanks again!

If still no joy, try a newer client. I'm not well versed in IPX, but there's some guys in the Netware 5 forum on Tek-Tips who are. IPX was great in it's day but is pretty dated now.

Since your clients are IP, and this Win box is basically acting as a client, you could try turning off IPX on the Win box and see if IP only is more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back