Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing Desktop navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

drj31

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have been having some virus troubles that i thought i had fixed today. I have downloaded and ran CWShredder, AdAware and HijackThis to troubleshoot. I thought everything had cleared and been operating fine. I left for about a half hour to come back to my monitors that just had the wallpaper in the background..no bottom nav bar or icons on the desktop at all. I restarted and same thing. I then restarted one more time they came up and then disappeared one by one. As they came up I noticed three new desktop icons (FREE Spyware Scanner, myPC Search, Second Thought). I then started in safe mode and ran AdAware and got rid of some things there...also ran CWShredder and fixed some things there...but still on restart i am getting nothing but wallpaper.
Can anyone help me?

I will try some of this when I get home. I am assumming that it has something to do with what is in the admin priviliges though and I will still have my problem. Is there also a way to just make this profile have admin rights?

Change the User type via Control Panel/ User Accounts (requires the user doing the change, or creating a user, to be an Administrator.

Well, the saga continues. I have completely reinstalled WindowsXP and for the last two days I can not connect to the internet. I ipconfig'd and am getting a IP address from my router (now..anyways...at first after reinstall the driver for the ethernet card wasn't loaded and I wasn't getting anything). Okay, so now I can log into my Netgear router from my machine...but everytime I try to access a web page I get a window that comes up asking for a User Name and Password to connect. I have a broadband connection to the router and have never had to do this before. Is this a security issue or something? The window has the set of keys in the top bar similar to the keys it is showing me to register WindowsXP (can't do that until I connect). I'm dumbfounded here. I don't have a User/Password for the Router. I even went in and reset the router. I don't see anywhere that I could have input this. I have also went into Internet Explorer and turned the settings down so it wasn't a security issue. I have also turned off Windows Firewall. What am I missing? My connection shows that it is connected in Network Connections. When I put in the wrong User and Password into the box the web page displays 401 Unauthorized. Access to this resource is denied; your client has not supplied the correct authentication.
Anyone have any ideas?

What confuses me about some of the information I received by following your link above and reading some of the material is that I have not set up a UserID and Password for the router and I even Reset the router to be sure of this.
The best response that deals with my router specifically is here
at the bottom of the page the fellow suggests that my internet options should be set to prompt me for a username and password...but I don't have one!
I have disconnecting my cable modem from the router and hooked directly into my machine and everything works fine.
The odd thing to me is also that I had this up and running fine when I set it up three weeks ago...required no login or password to access the internet through the router or anything. After my reinstall of windows this weekend it now is having a problem. Anyone have any ideas? It sounds like a security issue with windows, but I have turned off all I know to turn off in the security areas.

Was it at SP2 before the trouble or have you updated to SP2 and then hit trouble?

Maybe you could see how it goes with one of the other settings concerning Logon -

Specifies how to handle requests from servers that require logon information. Servers on intranets (and sometimes Internet sites) often require a user name and password to restrict access to authorized users only. Select one of the following logon methods for sites in this zone:

To connect to a server by using your current Windows user name and password, click Automatic logon with current username and password.

To connect to a server by using your current session username and password, but only if the server is in your Local Intranet zone, click Automatic logon only in Intranet zone.

To connect to a server by providing a user name and password when prompted, click Prompt for user name and password.

To connect to a server without attempting to provide or send logon information, click Anonymous logon.

Thanks Linney-
This machine is only 3 weeks old. It was installed with SP2 and I reinstalled it with the SP2 disk that they provided me.
So after reading this thread and posting my questions from work yesterday I went home and was ready to do battle against this again...taking the link from Linney and was going to get that machine connecting if it killed me! I get home do the usual stuff, then find time to go upstairs and start doing battle...and it's connected...is this weird? Did it just need some time for something? I don't know if I should keep checking stuff or not...seems a bit odd that it is now working. I had done a restart last night after some changes so I don't think there was anything new changed. I just want to be sure I'm set before I go installing all my stuff again.
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back