Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing Connectivity with Shared Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrScr

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
AU
Hi Guys.
I am new to some of this stuff so I hope I can give you enough relevant information and make it as painless as possible. I've just helped an office install an ADSL Router and seem to have started a daisy chain of problems. Currently I have stopped the DHCP service from starting on the server and have issued static IP addresses to all workstations. The server is 192.168.68.1 and all the workstations are in that same IP range. The router is 192.168.68.85
I have added the Router IP addresses to DNS and gateway on each Workstation and the internet works perfectly. After first issuing IP addresses to the workstations I had a few problems for the first few boots as they would not find a Domain Controller, but that seems to have fixed itself. The problem I'm confronting now is printing from Workstations (Except for those which have the printers installed locally). The 2 printers are shared through the server but connected to two of the workstations. If I add the printers on each workstation to print diretly to the workstation with which they are connected, this works fine but means that PC has to be logged on, where as when shared through the server, the PC has to be on but not logged in. Now for the tricky part... if I restart the server, or simply mess around with stopping and starting a service or basically anything that stops and starts networking then all the printing will work, but only for a short while. Sometimes half an hour, sometimes 2 hours but that's about it. Does anyone have any suggestions that might be able to fix this problem??? Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Do the printers have network interfaces? That always works well when networking printers.

Also, have you set the workstations up in a domain or a workgroup?

They have no Network Interface cards in the printers. They are plugged into LPT1 on the corresponding Workstation and then shared. They are all members of a domain and they log onto the domain successfully.

Hopefully this will give you the info you need.

Do the NICs Wake on LAN?
Possibly the power saver settings turn off the NICs after a period of time. Maybe that's what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back