Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Losing connection to sql server thru VPN tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlhbill

Programmer
Aug 25, 2002
US
I have an application that is randomly losing an ODBC connection to a SQL Server database when accessing the database through a VPN tunnel. The tunnel is established with two Linksys BEFVP41 routers. The tunnel does not seem to lose connection.

If I establish a terminal sevices session to the machine with SQL Server through a second tunnel from a different location and bring up the SQL Server Enterprize manager I will randomly lose the terminal services session.

In both situations non database operations work flawlessly with no interruptions.

All routers have all ports blocked for internet access but I didn't think any ports needed to be open for VPN tunnel access.

I am open for suggestions.
Thank you.

Is the line a DSL ? It may be the line losing connection or the DSL DHCP assigned IPs get changed and distupting the way DNS works ! ________________________________________________________________________________
If you do not like change, get out of the IT business...

The connection is RoadRunner cable to RoadRunner cable with static ip on both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back